Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/17/2003 2:24:46 PM EDT
Hello,
I shot some Norinco ammo about a month ago that say's that it is "Non Corrosive" yellow box and also some Norinco Chinasports red/black box. I went to clean the AR today and found some corrosion (green stuff in colour) starting to build on the bolt by the gas rings and also in the gas tube end that goes into the carrier key. Anybody else have this problem? I bought this ammo back in the mid 90's. I cleaned everything with window cleaner since it has ammona and with WD40 and a regular cleaning use alot of CLP, should this stop the corrosion? Also should I worry about Wolf or any other Russian ammo being corrosive? I just bought a SKS and shot some Wolf and some other Russian ammo throught it.

Thanks,
Gavino
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The green stuff is not harmful to your rifle.  It is a result of the reaction between copper or brass and ammonia in the burnt powder residue.  Firearm cleaning solvents will remove it as will hot soapy water.  I get it all the time in my FAL flashiders.

Noah
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks you for the reply.
I take it not corrosion that the green stuff is? This is the only time I've seen this using Norinco ammo. I shot Lake City,Winchester,UMC and have not seen this with these ammo. Might be the material that the Chinese use to make the round? What about Russian ammo?
Thanks,
Gavino
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#3]
corrosive ammo will cause your gun to RUST!!! (which is obviously not good for it...)
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top