Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2003 7:10:09 AM EDT
Anyone have any opinions on this stuff?  Also, wheres  the best price to get this stuff?  Someone said that Wally World has the best price on this stuff.   Thanks

Steven

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 8:02:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Ive shot many of those 100 round packs off with no problems.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone have any opinions on this stuff?  Also, wheres  the best price to get this stuff?  Someone said that Wally World has the best price on this stuff.   Thanks

Steven

View Quote

$10.96 at my wally world, shoots fine no problems here.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I go through a box or two a month, and have never had a problem.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I run through about a box per weekend, haven't had any problems yet.

-FOTBR
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 12:40:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Great for target practice, probably not much more.

If you're looking for good fmj, I hear the 124gr. GECO is good, although a little underloaded as of late (like the win value pack).

[url]www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=69965[/url]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I've used 500 rounds of it (from Wally World) without any failures.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:16:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought 6 boxes last year, shot 3 at a subgun shoot, then used the other 3 this year for same shoot again, different gun... all go bang.  $10.96/100 at Wally World, $109.60/case + tax, and they bring it to the store for you- no shipping charge.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Great stuff and cheap. Local Wal-Marts now carrying 100 rd .40 and .45 Value Packs.  14.97 and 19.97 respectively.  Now I understand wife's love of the place.  Sorry if off-topic for forums.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Not off topic at all....Thanks to all for the advice!!!

Steven
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:29:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Awesome stuff for the price- my Glock 19 eats it like candy.  Unfortunately, my HK94 clone is more picky and won't feed it...I suspect the Winchester is a little underpowered to cycle it [:(]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:32:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Just like Thai women.

Beautiful, cheap and goes bang everytime.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:52:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Local Wal-Marts now carrying 100 rd  and .45 Value Packs.  and 19.97  
View Quote

Anyone found the 45? I talked to the guy at the counter and he hadn't seen any of it nor did it sound like they were getting any.

What locales have it?

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone found the 45? I talked to the guy at the counter and he hadn't seen any of it nor did it sound like they were getting any.

What locales have it?
View Quote

We have it here in the N.E. Illinois/S.E. Wisconsin area.

The local Wal-MArt had 25 boxes on the .45 value packs, 15 boxes of .40, and 2 cases of 9mm.

Av.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#15]
dcoke76

As you can see I'm in MN.  I have checked at various stores and some have it and some don't.  If you can't find it check another store, one's bound to have it.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was just recently able to confirm my suspicion that this ammo is actually manufactured by S&B (Sellier & Bellot) in the Czech Republic under contract for Winchester.  I first figured this out because it looked identical to the "Winchester Metric" ammo (7.62x25 Tok and 9mm Mak) that Winchester was selling, which were labeled "Made in the Czech Republic".  This is probably true of any of the ammo where the bullet jackets are the same light-yellow color as the brass.

-Troy
View Quote

Have you been able to confirm this with Winchester? If so, are they using american tooling? Drop me a IM or shoot me an e-mail if you have any deatils.

I was just about to place an order for some S&B 115gr 9mm for my XD-9 Sub, and I have had problems with the value packs keyholing at ranges from 5-20 yards with this pistol/load combination... as a note i've shot hundereds of rounds of this stuff through my Kel-Tec P-11 and it has always gone bang. I can only remember a couple of dud rounds and one FTE. Not match grade, mind you, but good enough for 7-15 yard drills.

I've been wondering if it keyholes because its a light load, or if the brass jacket (S&B has this also) has anything to do with it. Maybe just a bad batch or my pistol dosnt like this one load?? I e-mailed Winchester and they want me to ship it back to them to test what I have left from the two 100 round boxes (about 130 rds)... still wondeirng if I should just blast it through my Kel-Tec and just use something else for practice in the Sub. Hence the S&B... but I have hesitated because I cant find it anywhere local to try out in my guns before I get a whole case.

I should also note that CCI Blazer in 115gr is great with no keyholes, the 50 round boxes of Winchester 115gr FMJ shot fine with no keyholes (both seem hotter than the VP) both the USA 115gr and 147gr HP loads shoot fine, Winchester Ranger in 127 +P+ (my carry load)tears one ragged hole at 7 yards and the 147gr version is right there too. Federal EFMJ worked fine and was accurate. Oddly, Speer Gold Dot in 124gr +P trim functions fine and tears clean holes in paper but is not terribly accurate, but acceptable. I have yet to have a jam in the XD Sub of any kind.

I havn't taken the gun to a smith, but I have tore it down and looked it over pretty well, and can find no reason that leads me to believe the pistol is the cause. What might be wrong with the gun that could cause this?

As an aside: Anyone have the USA VP and/or S&B 115gr FMJ chrono numbers handy? Preferably from a 3 inch barrel?

Think I may start a new thread, see as how I kinda hijacked this one...[jump]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Local Wal-Marts now carrying 100 rd  and .45 Value Packs.  and 19.97  
View Quote

What locales have it?

View Quote

I picked up 2 boxes of it about 5 wks ago up here in Maine. I have only fired 100 rnds of it in my Glock 30.  So far I think it is just O.K.  I will need to shoot some more of it before I make up my mind.  Groups were not all that great, even for me ;) . That being said, I DO like the 9mm, and it shoots fine out of my G17, G19, 92D, and HK P7's.  I have a box of .40SW that I need to give a try also.  IT seems that the .40 and .45 VP are getting mixed reviews over on GlockTalk.  Here are a few pics of some ugly looking .40SW ammo...

[url=http://www.glocktalk.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=1796793] UGLY 1 [/url]

[url=http://www.glocktalk.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=1796881] UGLY 2 [/url]

Troy,

Do you know if it is only the 9mm that is being made by S&B, or is it all of the ValPacks??  I have always liked the 9mm and .45ACP S&B myself.

FB

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#18]
The two boxes I have on hand are both made in the USA.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I got it here in Orange County CA.  Have shot their White Box .223, 9mm and 45  all say made in USA.  Seem fine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#20]
within the last month i've shot 500rds of it through my XD-9 with no problems.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I took a look at my Value Pack 9mm, and it clearly has Winchesters US address on the box.

It does NOT state where the ammo was manufactured.

Av.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#22]
 I have had 0 exp with the value packs but when i tried the 50 rd boxes in both my Smith 5906 and the .45 in my defender ( colt ) I have had problems  . I Much prefer the AM eagle by Federal . I just ordered  case of  the 9mm for $129 delivered from Natcheaz  (AM EAGLE ) . THey were very nice to deal with . NO ID to fax in or other hoops to jump through .

On  a side note I was recently in a  Gander MT. store and saw the 9mm value paks for $ 8.97 . I think !!! Lower than wally world .

It was the Davenport Iowa store .
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought 2000 rnds of the wal-mart stuff, put about 500 rnds of them through my beretta 92 with out any problems.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I know this stuff disappears off the shelves at my local walmart. I saw several boxes behind the counter and the next day all were gone. Now i don't hesitate.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 2:33:19 AM EDT
[#25]
One thing I noticed is the standard white box appears to have more robust brass than the value pack, at least in the 9mm. I noticed the case head is a little thinner in the value pack, which could be the cause of FTEs, as reported on other boards.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I had read something over at the CZ Forums.  Someone said they compared the case from the 100rd WWB to the 50rd WWB ammo, and the extractor groove was different.  I.E., different brass!  Found that the CZ pistols didn't like getting a grip on that groove and sometimes exhibited FTEs.

When I get my CZ here soon, I'm going to get a box of the 100rd WWB and see if it works before I go nuts and buy a lot.  If it works, great!  I'll get some.  If not, I'll be trying to find a case of Fiocci, S&B or Olympic.

Link Posted: 9/2/2003 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I've shot lots of this stuff and It works great in my Keltec p11 and Glock 27 with a drop in 9mm barrel (I would think if any ammo had problems it would be using this combo),but it works just find.

I snatch it off the shelf when I see it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#28]
It shoot pretty well, but coppers like hell.  It is my normal practice ammo and the only thing I have ran in a Glock 21 I got in June.  I just found my Outers Foul Out III from my last TMO move and started decoppering several of my pistols yesterday and with less than 500 rounds through that Glock it has been since 0600 this morning and it isn't done yet (8 hours).  I have had to clean the rod off several (3 times) so far times because of a weird almost blood red build up on the rod.

On my other pistols that I have decoppered in the past, since I have gone to using the 100 round value packs, the it almost twice as long now to remove the copper.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Winchester 100 Round Value Pack Ammo is really a good bang for the buck and very accurate too!  It has shot exceptionally well through several of my Glocks via thousands of rounds (in all three calibers combined: 9mm, .40 S&W & .45 ACP) and it doesn't appear any dirter than any other ammo (my weapons are cleaned almost immediately post range and this ammo seems even cleaner than most and with very little copper fouling).

I just wish it was packed and also sold in .357 Sig packs at our gun friendly Wal-Marts!

I suggest each of you try a small portion and do yourself the good favor of making your own judgement . . . you might really find a special friend!

Best Regards,
Glockguy1
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I had read something over at the CZ Forums.  Someone said they compared the case from the 100rd WWB to the 50rd WWB ammo, and the extractor groove was different.  I.E., different brass!  Found that the CZ pistols didn't like getting a grip on that groove and sometimes exhibited FTEs.
View Quote

This intrigued me enough to send me to the closet scrounging for ammo.  I just held up a "value pack" 9mm round next to a "regular white box" 115gr. JHP, and I can't discern any difference in the brass between the two.  Well... I don't have calipers or scales to be really sure, but the grooves look the same.

About the only failure that I encounter is the occasional failure to extract with myu FEG hi-power, so I may try a few boxes of another brand and see if that helps.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#31]
over 600 rounds through my Ruger P95 and XD9 w/o any probs
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#32]
marking this.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#33]
I have fires around 1000 rounds of this stuff and the only problem was one round I found in a box with a deformed jacket/case shoulder.  Would not like to have tried and fire it.

Otherwise it is great stuff.  I will keep buying it.

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I have 200 rounds of it through my Sig 226, hasn't cause me any problems
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#35]

i have two big problems with the walmart winchester white box 100 count "value pack":

1) i can't seem to get enough of it.
2) i can't seem to keep the stuff i do get.

other than that my G19 digests it like it's candy.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I shoot the Winchester stuff fairly often, and it is okay, but very dirty. Even in a long barreled gun like my Beretta it shoots dirty. QC on those rounds is also not as good as some other brands, as I have encountered several without a primer on them. (I have only shot about 2000 rounds of the stuff heretofore, so that is a pretty nasty failure rate)

The best FMJ pistol ammo I have ever encountered is PMC. I have shot tens of thousands of PMC rounds and had not one single misfire ever. Great stuff and accurate as the day is long. PMC .45 ACP is superbly accurate in my Les Baer, accurate enough to hit poker chips from 25 yards offhand.

When I go back for my Tactical Pistol class, I am taking cases of PMC 9mm with me. It is a tad more expensive than the old winchester whitebox, but it is phenominal ammo.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Any word on where this stuff is manufactured?  IS it in fact manufactured by S&B?
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#38]
I have bought some 9mm at Maple grove wally world and talked with sales guy who said it sells out as soon as it comes in[stuff I bought was just put on shelf].
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 3:25:12 PM EDT
[#39]
This summer I've shot a few thousand rounds thru my two subguns.  Not a single problem.  I buy it by the case from Wally World, get 5% off the case price and my bud's daughter works there, so I get another 10% off.  

Buy it, it works great.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I buy it by the case from Wally World, get 5% off the case price and my bud's daughter works there, so I get another 10% off.  

Buy it, it works great.
View Quote

Ohh, you dog.  I wish I could get that kind of a discount.  You know, my daughter does need to get a job........

I have probably have shot a couple of thousand rnds of it.  It's great stuff.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#41]
it has been popular ammo here at the local walmarts.  They seem to sell it quick.  There are also 40 and 45 available here too, and the 40 sells as quickly as the 9mm.  For 45 ammo I buy the wolf for plinking ammo (got 100 rounds of wolf .45 for $12 at the last gun show).  Can't beat the price, sports authority in Montgomery, AL has it on sale for the same price as walmart (this weeks flyer).  Wish they sold 223 and 7.62x39 in value packs for the same price as the 9mm (wishful thinking I know, lol).
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I've fired around 5000 rounds of the 9mm value packs.  My USP 9mm's and my Desert Eagle 9mm both FTE about 2/100 rounds.  This is the only ammo I've had problems with in these 3 guns.  However, I will not use it for self defense purposes, or use it in any competitive matches.

It is cheap, so I continue to use it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#43]
I've gone thru probably 3K rounds of this stuff, and have not had a single failure, except for one Fail to Fire.  That's not too bad for the amount I've shot.  Good stuff, good price, although I'm still curious as to who actually manufactures it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Hey Steve,

I've puy some 750-1000 rnds of the 9mm Win Value Pack stuff down the tube of my Beretta M92 with out so much as a hiccup.  If you like to plink on the cheap like I do, you can't beat the $10.96 per 100.  It shoots great, is way cleaner and within pennies of Wolf.  Best part, my wife can pick up a box for me while she's shopping!

ARGuy
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I just finished shooting the last of 500 rnds of the Winchester 9mm at a USPSA match today.  It all shot great!  I did find it to be underpowered.  During the match, I had to change to some Fiocchi 115 grain that I got from Ammoman.com, and you could really feel the differance between the two.

Vulcan94
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top