Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2003 4:48:37 PM EDT
I hear that all Russian ammo is about the same. It is not very consistent but that's good enough for most clones.

I want to get the most consistent ammo possible that's not real expensive and can be bought in bulk.  I hear S&B is better than Russian, is that true? Other options? Accuracy is consistency in bullet weight and diameter, powder charge, and so on.

This is FWIW for a slr-95.

Link Posted: 8/10/2003 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been shooting Russian ammo since day one of owning my SLR95 and have never had a problem.

As far as Accuracy, I have found Russian (not wolf ammo) to be far more accurate then most store bought brands (Winchester, PMC, UMC..etc).

I would definately be interested on what ammo you choose and what your findings are.

Thanks

Kev
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Head over to the AK board. There's a review of ammo on the AK/Ammunition board. Barnaul pretty much came out tops.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Lapua Mega Spire point is about $12.00 for a box of 30 rounds. It is amoung the best performing 7.62x39mm loads.

I'm also fond of the Georgia Arms 125Gn Ballistic tip 7.62x39mm load.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#4]
maybe the answer should be obvious - reloading.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 11:16:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Check this out.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=54&t=56018[/url]

S&B, while fine ammo, does not produce this caliber any more.
Reloading you will find is both expensive and not tworth the time in this caliber.

I have posted more than anyone else in the AK reloading forum, and I have about 4 posts in one year. It is simply not worth it. AK's are not match rifles, and never will be.

I posted the info somewhere around here once, but I pulled 5 bullets from each brand and tested the bullet weight, diameter, and powder charge.  All were very consisitant.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top