Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2003 3:02:36 PM EDT
Today I shot some M193,Q3131A and Winchester 45gr varmit ammo, scoped at 100 meters, from a bench rest. The winner was the 45gr Winchester, printing one hole with an occasional flyer. Second, was the XM193 with all shots touching each other. The XM 193 printed 1-1.25 inches like the smile of a smiley face. Third, was the Q3131A which gave a veritcal 1- 1.75 inch string and occassional flyers.

I then took off the scope on my flat top and mounted a detachable handle and shot with peep sites. All shooting still was off a rest. The order in how the various ammo performed changed and I don't know why. The winner was the Q3131A, printing 80% of the time in a two inch group. Second, was the XM193 which didn't shoot as tight a group as the Q3131A and measured about a 2-3 inch in group size. Third, was the Winchester 45gr varmit which would give a 3 shots touching group then throw 3 other shots 4 inches away north, south east or west.

What's up?!!

How did Q3131A go from last with a scope to first with iron sights? How come the varmit round went from a one shot dead center round to last place?
Thanks,
Anthony
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#1]
barrel vibration?  Changes due to changes in system harmonics?
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:20:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I shoot better with open sights than I do with scopes.  Don't know why.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]
PaDanby, you know, your probably right!! The weight of the scope could be changing the harmonic vibration. I wonder if a weight was put in the butt stock what would be the effect?
Thanks,
Anthony
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top