Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2003 12:04:36 PM EDT
Got a question for you:  Our ammunition has been replaced with this stuff.
CTG, 5.56 Ball M855 CPAK-LF.

Is this the new 5.56 with the tungston core or what?  We've been told there is an ammunition shortage and we've lost our training ammo.  It's lead free, but is this 62gr. like M855 or is it short range ammo for practice only?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Well.... judging by the "BALL M855"

My guess is this is standard M855 62 gr. SS109 type ammo.

THey told you they were low on M855 so they got you more M855?

i don't quite follow.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#2]
No it's not regular M855.  The kicker is the CPAK-LF on the end.  I don't know what the CPAK means, but I think the LF is Lead Free.  This makes me think it is for short-range or indoor use only.  I don't think we can use it on the pop-up range.  That's why we are concerned.  Those 25m silouettes are worthless.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#3]
hmm...

could be...

Standard M855 hardly has any lead as it is.

Never heard of it before...
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I answered in your other thread.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:33:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Roger, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:55:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe it is a lead free sustitiute ammo, when I was at Benning a few years ago they tested it and adopted it under questionable circumstances-The main reason being that it is "Green" ammo-meaning it has less of an impact on the environment because of lead pollution-this supposedly was the reason. If memory serves me correctly the ballistic tests I saw on it were the same as the M855 Green tip. I'll have to double check my notes.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I've never seen any terminal ballisics data on the lead free ball ammo.  If anyone has any I'd apprciate them.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I answered in your other thread.
View Quote

Brou!  You're back!!!
How ya doin?
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you talking about the ammo discussed in this link?

[url]http://aec.army.mil/usaec/publicaffairs/update/fall99/popup/fall99greenmovie01.html[/url]

This link says the new green ammo will be used for both training and combat, and that tests have shown it to be the same ballistic characteristics as the ammo it replaces, as well as being a little more accurate.

All I have to say is,

[size=6][blue]Show me the SPECS!!![/blue][/size=6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#11]
The lead free designation is not referring to the projectile.  It is referring to lead free primer compound. A few years ago, I full shift air sampled for lead at Knights manufacturing(black powder rifles).  They were shooting copper jacketed rounds and thought that I was nuts for sampling lead.  Well, I found airborne lead and the source was in the primer compound!
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are you talking about the ammo discussed in this link?

[url]http://aec.army.mil/usaec/publicaffairs/update/fall99/popup/fall99greenmovie01.html[/url]

This link says the new green ammo will be used for both training and combat, and that tests have shown it to be the same ballistic characteristics as the ammo it replaces, as well as being a little more accurate.

All I have to say is,

[size=6][blue]Show me the SPECS!!![/blue][/size=6]
View Quote

Incidentally, it's made with a tungsten alloy, and guess who the biggest supplier of tungsten in the world is? Our buddies over in China. I have heard that this ammo MAY be harder on the barrel life than the regular copper jacketed M855. Can anyone confirm this?

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm guessing CPAK means the new "Commercial Pack"?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The lead free designation is not referring to the projectile.
View Quote

Incorrect.  It IS referring to the projectile.  The lead in the bullet has been replaced by a Tungsten-Tin alloy bonded together with nylon.

I've been told, in the past few days, that the Green M855 costs TWICE as much as standard, and has less fragmentation.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top