Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/2/2003 2:39:46 PM EDT
I have a Bushmaster & their catalog says 5.56 can be used. I've yet to find any here so what brand is recommended?

Also I'd like know of a good mailorder source for 223 or 5.56 tracer ammo. Is there tracer/incendiary ammo available? Url's would be much appreciated.

thanks!
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#1]
For M193, I would stick with Federal XM193 or Winchester Q3131A. The South African surplus is also pretty good and seems to meet M193 specs. It may not be available again until September though. Some good places to locate this ammo for good prices and with good service include:

[url]www.natchezss.com[/url]

[url]www.sportsmansguide.com[/url]

[url]www.ammoman.com[/url]

For the tracers, Ammoman and The Sportsman's Guide usually carry them also. Cheaper Than Dirt is another source who also regularly carries them, just watch out out for their shipping charges. They can be located at [url]www.cheaperthandirt.com[/url]. I hope this is helpful.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:39:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I got tracers from ammoman.  His service can't be beat!
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you shoot at targets beyond 100 meters you're unlikely to see the tracers.  The don't fully illuminate until down range at least 50 to 75 meters and by the time they strike a berm at short range you've only a microsecond to see 'em.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#4]
carefull with tracers. in the marine corps we were setting stuff on fire; tanks, grass, etc.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:41:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually, if you want to do a lot of tracers you should really consider reloading if you don't already.  Boxes of traces can cost $13.  I get 100 projectiles for $10 at www.hi-techammo.com  These are pulled bullets from military rounds.  You can buy 55gr red tips or the 62 gr. orange tips.  The red ones, in contradiction to Chucks's reply, light up almost right out of the barrel, the orange seem to take about 50-70 yards or so.  Out of the ones I've fired so far, they all lit up.  Incendiary projectiles are available from the site as well but expect to pay $9 for 10 of them.  Hope this helps
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm just going to buy 20-50 rounds of tracers, probably from Ammoman. I have a ravine to shoot into but not sure if it's enough distance to really see the trace well. I'll probably just wait for a gunshow then go out at night.

Thanks!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top