Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/31/2003 8:52:45 AM EDT
I will probaly start reloading .223 brass in about 1.5-2 years.  What is the best way to store fired brass so that it won't rust?  Just put it in an ammo can?  Thanks
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#1]
At my house!!

Just keep them from getting too much humidity or wetness, they'll be fine.

Keep in mind you'll have to clean them before reloading. If I were you I'd keep them in a paper bag in the back of your closet somewhere. Avoid storing them outside or in your refrigerator and places where moisture is present.

Link Posted: 7/31/2003 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Ammo can is fine as the brass doesn't rust unless it wet constantly.  I've had once fired brass in ammo cans for 20+ years and I'm still waiting for time to reload it all.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I am in the habit of cleaning the casings after shooting and packing them into ziplock bags while in a room with very low humidity (thank you dehumidifier). I then just place the bags into ammo cans and sit them in an out of the way place until needed. Is all of that necessary? Likely not. But I am compulsive and have my routines. LOL.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Fired brass should not need much pampering.  If you have a tumbler go ahead and clean it up before you store it.  If you are going to bother with putting it in zip lock bags (I don't) then separate it by headstamp and number of times fired.  If it is all once-fired brass then you will have a lot of good brass when you get set up to reload.  

One more comment: Beware of picking up brass of unknown history at the range.  It may have been fired several times already and the reloaded is discarding it.  I may have come from a slightly oversize chamber and even after full-length resizing may not chamber in your rifle (if it has a match chamber).  It may be head-stamped one caliber and have been made into a wildcat of different caliber of an Improved version of the same parent caliber.

I have been reloading for a while and have seen all kinds of weird things..  IM mail me if you are interesting in an informative reloading group.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am in the habit of cleaning the casings after shooting and packing them into ziplock bags while in a room with very low humidity (thank you dehumidifier). I then just place the bags into ammo cans and sit them in an out of the way place until needed. Is all of that necessary? Likely not. But I am compulsive and have my routines. LOL.

-Charging Handle
View Quote

Yup.
Same obsessive habit here.
I clean the brass, seperate by headstamp(Lake City being my favorite and most pampered) and 5.56 from .223, put it in Big Ziplock Freezer bags, throw the bags in an ammo can and store for a rainy day.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top