Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/25/2003 5:44:09 PM EDT
Anyone know a good source for desiccant?   I tried the web but most places want to sell it industrial sized lots.   Checked my local gun dealer but all he had was the packs for gun safes.   Does Lowes, Home Depot., Ace, etc sell the desi-paks?
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Brownells. [url=http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=6944]www.brownells.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#2]
My free tip 'o the day. All Harley Davidson motorcycles are shipped in a crate, sealed in plastic with a big ol bag of dessicant inside. Go to your local HD dealership and ask em for one or two bags. They are probably one or two pounds apiece, and most of em will give em to you for FREE!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My free tip 'o the day. All Harley Davidson motorcycles are shipped in a crate, sealed in plastic with a big ol bag of dessicant inside. Go to your local HD dealership and ask em for one or two bags. They are probably one or two pounds apiece, and most of em will give em to you for FREE!!!!!
View Quote

Hey, that works!   I know the service managaer at the dealership over in the next town.   How is it packed?   I'm looking for something that will fit in an ammo can.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#4]
It will fit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 6:43:06 AM EDT
[#5]
If you need the little packets, shoe stores usually have them packed in the shoe boxes and they usually get thrown out... Another option for ya...
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out JP's Corner, a coin collecting supply store in Missouri.  They carry a good selection of desiccants at reasonable prices:
[url]www.JPsCorner.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I've used http://www.desiccantcity.com/ .  They are fast, not free like most of these recomendations, but new fresh and come in various sizes of packets and numbers of packets per lot.  Site has great info on use/reuse and Quantities if nothing else.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Wal Mart sells cans of silica gel dessicant for drying flowers.  Go to their crafts section.  It comes with the indicator crystals, too.  You have to come up with your own way of packaging the stuff in your ammo cans (like in a sock or some panty hose), but the price is right.  I think I paid less than $5 for a five pound can.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Walmart. Less than $3 for 6-1oz Pkts. Usually found in the housewares dept in a box called Damp-rid.

Also, Crystal type cat litter is made from silica gel crystals. Costs about $7 for a 3+ lb container. Just get some free Tyvek envelopes from USPS - (used for priority mail) and make your own custom sized packs. Just cut them to size, fill with crystals and tape them shut. (Also leaves your ammo with that Spring Fresh smell)!  [:)]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 5:39:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I've also got a bunch sitting around here, and I'll sell them to you cheap. PM me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Dessicant is uneccesary.

I'm currently shooting 30-06 ammo from the late 50's and early 60's, none of it was ever stored with dessicant, and it all goes bang every time.

I have .38-40 ammo that is close to 100 years old, and M1 Carbine ammo that is from the late 40's, it still goes bang.

Ammo stored indoors last a very long time. Buy it when it goes on sale, shoot the old stuff first, you'll never have a problem.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Aww Crap,

I get free small dessiacant packs 2.5 X 2.5 inches that come in my companys speciality paper.  When it arrives, I seal them in a zip lock - I've got a bunch.  

I'll send some to you free - say 20 packs? I usually use 2 packs per ammo can - works gret.  e-mail me with an adress and I'll drop them in the mail to you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#13]
... or not.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Put your ammo in an ammo can or leave it in a battle pack, it will be fine for many years.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I have mil-spec desi paks for sale, 10 for $12 shipped,these are in brown kraft bag,that ya can re-activate in oven........email [email protected]

LONGHUNTER
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Man, that Harley Davidson tip is great.  I stopped by the dealer and asked them for a couple, the kid I talked to just popped in the back room and came out with 2 HUGE bags of dessicant.  FREE!  I mean HUGE, I have never seen a bag of dessicant like this.  I threw them in my oven on low for 45 minutes or so to freshen them up a bit and then threw em in my safe.  Awesome tip!

Thanks,
--Dan
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top