Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2003 10:34:40 AM EDT
Ok, B&T did some great testing but here's my question: For all that data I believe the normal range was something in the neighborhood of 16 feet. How would those same rounds perform at say 75-150feet?  Curious if the ballistics would be the same.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#1]
At 75 YARDS you wouldn't see any terminal difference with the 75 & 77gr loads....
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Obviously the performance will start to drop off as more distance is added, but within reasonable range you aren't gonna notice a lot of difference if you choose the right ammo and rifle combo. The commercial 68, 75 and 77 gr OTM rounds should do well out to at least 100 yards, farther for the mil-spec versions. Even M193 and M855 will fragment out past 100 yards (as far as 200 yards with M193 from a 20" barrel). I don't think anyone will find themselves making shots in excess of 100 yards anyway in a self defense situation.

For testing I actually prefer the closer shots because that's going to be more indicative of performance at close range. CQB type engagements are far more likely for police officers and armed civilians than the longer range ones.

-Charging Handle
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top