Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/19/2003 7:59:18 AM EDT
Referencing the 7.62 West German FMJ that fragmented so well in the DR Fackler tests (as shown in the 5.56 FAQ article), does anyone know how fast it was going when it fragmented? Since impact velocity is so important for the 5.56 to perform and the effect that short barrels/distance have on its terminal performance, it seems this is a vital piece of data missing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 1:46:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure what velocity threshold is needed to allow this round to fragment, but I bet Troy will have the answer when he comes across this post. So I am replying to bump it back up to the top before it falls off the front page.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I found the original article by Dr. Fackler the photos came from, in it he states that the bullet was fired at 3 meters. Additionaly, he quotes West German sources that the fragmentation occurred at 100 meters. Assuming standard 7.62 performance that should work out to 2800-2600 fps. The subject probably isn't completely moot scince I believe the Bundeswehr (sp?) still uses lots of 7.62 in their support machine guns if not their service rifles. Maybe they changed the bullets?
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Gutentag Freunden,

The DAG 7,62 NATO with 9,45g (147 grain) Ironjacket travels with 855 m/s at the muzzle.

The Ironjacket is 0.6mm thick and breaks intentionally at the cannelure.

This is the headstamp:
[img]http://www.waffeninfo.net/munition/308win_11.jpg[/img]

Grüssen
Böllöcks

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top