Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2003 11:36:49 AM EDT
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some plinking/practice ammo for my new Savage 10FPLE2A rifle.

I saw the american ammo at Natchez running about 6.78 for 50 rounds, and was wondering about the quality of that particular brand.

It is obviously a .223 chamber...but since it is a bolt action, could I shoot LC M193 or Q3131a through it?

What are your thoughts for a good practice ammo?
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi I have had a few savages great Rifle!
I had a 222rem that I wish I never got rid of! to date its the most accurate rifle I ever had!
little clovers all day long!Also a 3006 wich was loads of fun! I would have a tiny bruise at the end of the day!

My friend always shot Q3131 Winchester before Q3131A out of his savage! Never any problem!
Have fun and enjoy your Savage!
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I can't wait.  Well, I found  a fairly good deal on some American Eagle 55grn .223, so I bought some of that.

I was more concerned about chamber issues, but if the Winchester stuff works out ok, might be nice to have a little hotter load to practice with.

Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:11:07 AM EDT
[#3]
American Eagle is Very Accurate ammo its only
100/200fps slower but the animal you hit wont no the difference between Q3131A!

BTW what is the twist on the rifle? Maybe you can shoot the heavy stuff 69grBTHP

The FEDERAL 69bthp out of my STOCK BUSHMASTER A1 20 HBAR is killer!!! my very first 3 shot group was a 1 holer!!! Thats Prone @ 100 yards with a bushnell 3.5x10 scope Not bad for a Rack grade rifle.

Yeah you shouldnt not have any trouble with 5.56mm in the savage it just like shooting +P in your handgun it may cause it to wear a bit more look for Flat Primmers and sticky case!

BTW I FOUND that HP were more accurate out of my 222 SAVAGE than FMJ/Metal case!

Im going to buy another in 7.62/308 and turn it to a Sniper!

You could buy a super cool stock on your 223 and make a sniper? I know a 308 would be better but the 223 in good hands could get the job done with in reason!

Tell me about it when ya get back from the range?

Rich L.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a model 10fp and the best groups that I have shot with it was with the Winchester white box ammo from Wal-Mart.It is only 45gr but if you read on the box it is made specifically for 1/9 barrels.It isn't as cheap as mil surp. but is good American made ammo. It shoots relatively clean too.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a 10fp "tactical" heavybarrel. I shot Rem UMC "yellow box" from mine and it shot great! "Little clovers also" It should be a 1/9 twist so you should have no problem with weights up to 75 grains. I find the best weight in my rifle to be about 68-69 grain. You will find no problems with lighter though. I think Savage makes the best boltgun for the money and their new accu-trigger really makes it an excelllant rifle.  Enjoy!!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top