Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2003 7:28:46 AM EDT
I was at Walmart the other day and noticed that they are carrying a 40 round value pack of the Winchester White Box for around $7-8.  Anyone use this stuff?  

I thought a while back there were a bunch of problems with this stuff in AR's but I couldn't find anything by searching for it, I only get a 30 day search.  

Is this stuff gonna cause problems for me and should I avoid it??
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#1]

It shoots fine. It is underpowered, NOT-Mil Spec but runs clean through most AR's (mine anyway). Since it is loaded not as hot, some AR's occasionally have a problem not ejecting it or a new gun if it is still stiff.

It's ok if you want to pick up some rounds quick, but it is 20 cents a round.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#2]
i have shot a couple hundred rounds of it without any problems.  not as accurate as my LC and more expensive though.  but, since its always at walmart i pick up a box or two everytime i go.  i built up about a 600rd stash of the stuff pretty quick.  the sad part is its the cheapest ammo in town besides wolf at the fun store.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#3]
What are the specs on this ammo?  I know the Winchester USA 45 gr. "Varmint" ammo shoots great in every gun I have fired it in (sub moa easily). However, it doesn't feed reliably in my AR (the crimped hollow tips catch too easily feeding).  They say on the box that it leaves the muzzle at 3600 fps, I have not verified that.  I paid ~11.00 a box at Wal Mart for 40 rounds.

--Dan
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I shot hundreds of rounds of this stuff. 223RF1 I believe. It's loaded to lower pressures(than M193)damn accurate and clean burning and has run flawlessly through my ARs. Sometimes it'll have a metallic "Mist" covering it, that I just wipe away with a rag. I'd highly reccomend it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They say on the box that it leaves the muzzle at 3600 fps,
View Quote

MAYBE with a 24" or 26" test barrel.

Don't beleive what they print on the boxes unless they specify a barrel length.  Most of the test barrels are designed for 24" bolt guns so velocities run a bit higher than for our 20" or 16" ARs.

This is why its nice to invest $100 into a chronograph.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#6]
i just dug up an old reciept for this stuff $7.33/40rds before tax =$183.25+ tax  do you think its worth it?  or should i stop buying it? i guess this comes out to about what i pay for lake city when you add shipping.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top