Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2003 4:56:44 AM EDT
I am looking for something heavier than 62 gr. but will fit & function in an AR 15 mag ok. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:10:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Black Hills sells match ammo loaded with either a Hornady 75 gr BTHP or a Sierra 77 gr BTHP.  Both of these are magazine length.  The Sierra topped round is the very similar to the round currently being used by Special Forces for better teminal ballistics.  I don't know if the match ammo from Balck Hills is NATO 5.56 pressure or .223, but it is probably within 100 fps of the 5.56 NATO spec ammo.  I have used the 75 gr. ammo in Highpower matches at 500 yards and it is very accurate.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your help KS. I was hoping that I could get some 5.56 military stuff, but I guess that no one is making any yet. I might try the Black Hills stuff.

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know if you've seen [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=150906&page=1]this[/url] thread.  It's a long read, but the outcome is going to be a custom Black Hills load with a 77gr. Nosler loaded to NATO pressure.

Here's from page 5:

They will be loaded with the 77 gr NOSLER HPBT with a Cannulure. Velocity should be around 2700 fps with a 16" barrel, 2780 fps with a 18" Bbl and 2900+ with a 20" barrel.
They will be loaded with NEW, 855 SPEC Brass which is thicker and more consistent in the web area.
This is a True NATO pressure loading with a primer sealant and crimped primers.
This is a CUSTOM Load for GPSS to our SPECS and will be packaged in a WHITE Black Hills Box with Lot DATA and pertinent information.
View Quote

It's pricey and still in the sample/testing stage, but looks like it's going to be a great round.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
That sounds exactly like what I want. I will keep my eyes on GPSS website. Thank you.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top