Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/4/2003 12:38:35 AM EDT
Am I wrong in thinking that right now there seems to be less surplus 7.62x51 on the market?

There's the Indian, which I wouldn't buy due to quality concerns.  There is the Australian, which people say will dry up fast.  The SA seems to be hard to find.  Portuguese? British ammo? I haven't seen these lately--am I looking in the wrong places?

Does anyone happen to know if 7.62 will dry up in the future, or is there lots of surplus that will come onto the market.

Are foreign countries using as much 7.62 as they used to?  Have most countries switched to 5.56 for their rifles?  Is this causing a 7.62 surplus shortage?  There's got to be some ammo out there for the 7.62 machineguns.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:51:20 AM EDT
[#1]
It comes and goes, much like 5.56 surplus. I hear there's a big load of Port 308 inbound, and as fast as the Aussie stuff is selling I wouldn't be surprised to see another load or two of that inbound.

I was lucky enough to get in on a group buy on the Aussie stuff before the ship had even arrived. If there is any left oversees, I bet it will show up here. Plus, I hear that DCM bought a lot if not most of this past load of Aussie 308. Yes, it's that good.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The .30-06 I can understand drying up, but wouldn't there be plenty of 7.62 machinegun ammo out there?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The .30-06 I can understand drying up, but wouldn't there be plenty of 7.62 machinegun ammo out there?
View Quote

Not from the USA.  Thanks to Clinton that asshole.

Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#5]
If I want M80 stuff - it costd me $350.00 per thousand linked for M-60.  RG stuff is over $200.00 per thousand.  It is absolutely outrageous. [(:)]
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not from the USA.  Thanks to Clinton that asshole.

View Quote

Hell, if Clinton was just an asshole we could forgive him.  You are too kind 7.

I agree, if you want a good stash of 7.62 NATO better pick it up now.  But don't think it will last forever in your cashe, rotate that inventory and get some new stuff in the "savings plan".  I know it cost more, but a 10 boxes of new Federal American Eagle will still be good 20 years from now.

I recently shot up all my old stock of LC 30-06 as it was nearly 50 years old!  (1953 and 1954 headstamps) Every round fired fine, but the stuff was getting stinky!  We set it free via a nice old Springfield 1903 and a Garand.  It was a good time for sure liberating those 450 rounds of ought-six.  Great old rifles even it they are not AR15's!
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Where can I find the Aussie stuff you guys are talking about ??
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 2:21:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

[url]www.falparts.com/ammo.asp[/url]

It shows it out of stock, but he will have some within days. There are other suppliers out there too.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:56:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone know if the Ammo Man ($179/800rds)would honor the prices at falparts.com ($132/800rds....hell thats a $47 difference.  Both offer free shipping....

I have heard he is a good guy and would like to do business with him...but $47 is still $47
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:22:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't worry about ordering from falparts, I've ordered several imbel kits, and a whole bunch or ar magazines from him.  He used to have the parked sa80 mags for $15.  Dan's a great guy.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the Ammo Man ($179/800rds)would honor the prices at falparts.com ($132/800rds....hell thats a $47 difference.  Both offer free shipping....

I have heard he is a good guy and would like to do business with him...but $47 is still $47
View Quote

At this low price Dan's(Falparts) is charging shipping above the listed price.  Go to http://wwwapps.ups.com/QCCWebApp/request?loc=en_US  put in your zip and his zip(15613) and weight (70lbs) for an estimate, or you could just email him. The UPS web page is usually a little on the high side.  

FB
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#12]
There is still 8mm from WWII coming in from some sountry that squirreled it away for decades.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

[url]www.falparts.com/ammo.asp[/url]
It shows it out of stock, but he will have some within days. There are other suppliers out there too.
View Quote

Thanks,  I hope he gets more in.

You guys shot much of this stuff ?

How's it compare to Port or Hirt ??
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks,  I hope he gets more in.

You guys shot much of this stuff ?

How's it compare to Port or Hirt ??
View Quote

I put 60 rounds through my STG58, and about another 40 rounds of Port the same day (first actual serious time shooting the rifle after Bulletfest). The Aussie is cleaner and at least in my rifle more accurate than the Port. And the Port stuff ain't bad! The Australian I have is 1983 production, and the shipment that came in in June was mostly 83 and 89. It's packed on 5 round stripper clips, in bandoleers, 200 rounds to a can and four cans to a case. Aussie bandoleers are the best I've seen, and the extras just make this ammo an even better deal.

The DCM bought a BUNCH of this ammo so that should tell you how accurate they think it is! Check on Falfiles.com in the ammo forums for some very glowing and complete reviews.

I give it a "BUY" rating! Don't miss out!
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I give it a "BUY" rating! Don't miss out!
View Quote

I better order some then !!
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Danish, and PMC 30-06 surplus is still available, and there is tons of 8x57 surplus.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top