Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/1/2003 2:05:45 PM EDT
I know troy will remember me asking this question.  I go to my range and they do not want steel bullets.  they are afraid it will start fires.  I have w. german ammo that does not pass the magnet test.  any ideas what brand to purchase, and from where.  I need to buy 2,000-3,000 rounds for storage and range time.  thank you in advance.  My M1A wants to be fondled more often.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#1]
South African surplus 308 in 140 rounds battle pack are good for what you are looking to do. JG Sales or AIM both carry it. Good clean ammo, fires out of my M1A w/o any problem.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Will south african ammo pass the steel test.  Is there any military surplus that would?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The Australian is great ammo that passes the magnet test.  A bit more accurate than the Port but without the iron core.  A little more expensive but is packed on stripper clips in bandoliers in ammo cans.
Lloyd
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Australian is great ammo that passes the magnet test.  A bit more accurate than the Port but without the iron core.  A little more expensive but is packed on stripper clips in bandoliers in ammo cans.
Lloyd
View Quote

The Portugese stuff is not steel-cored. The jacket is thin steel with a lead core.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Westfork:

Where can I find the Australian ammo? Ports are steel jacketed and Hertenburger (Austrian) are pretty much the same. They are accurate ammo but most of outdoor range in Southern CA don't allow you to shot that. I have being using South African and it's good (at least no steel on anything, passed range master's magnet test), but would like to try something different to see how much better it can be.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#6]
rhatland:

SA .308 will pass the magnet test for sure. It survived my magnet and range master's magnet. I will go home and check the head stamp on some of the ammo that I have left.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Box Marked:
20 RD
7.62x51mm
BALL
M1A2
A/84

Headstamped:
12 on one side and 84 on the other side. Crimped primer pocket with purple sealent.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry for the mistake on the Portuguese bullet -just meant to say there was definitely ferrous material in there.
I have been asked a couple times about Aussie sources so here is a copy of an email:

The best price for this ammo depends a lot on where you live because of the freight. I am in the upper Midwest and purchased from L.C.
Enterprises - great service!
[url]http://www.dealerease.com/catalog/product.asp?pid=1008597&ret_id=140211[/url]
Delivered price was $149.58 per case (included wooden crate).

In California Miwall has it.
[url]http://www.miwallcorp.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=mwcorp&Product_Code=68153-ADI308FMJ[/url]
I think they ship the cans without the crate to save on shipping.

In Pennsylvania there is Dan,s
[url]http://www.dansammo.com/ammo.asp[/url]

Midway has some
[url]http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/applications/eproductpage.exe/showproductsaleitemid=295884&CustNum=100434615&EblastID=6202003[/url]

Ammoman has it
[url]www.ammoman.com[/url]

I understand the CMP (Civilian Marksman
Program) took 60% of the shipment and will offer it on their site.

Best bet would be to get in on one of the group buys on falfiles.com if you are in the right area.  Some members claim some of the buys worked out to less than $125/case delivered.  I know one for Ohio is being formed right now.
Lloyd

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#9]
You might also check Kiesler's at [URL]www.kieslersonline.com[/URL] =

They have a special right now at 200 rds for 44.95 in clips and bandoliers.  Don't know if that's a good price or not, but I'm tempted and I like their service.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top