Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/30/2003 6:32:17 PM EDT
Anyone shot any of this stuff? I've had alright performance from their M193-equivalent load. My dealer has this stuff for $4/box which I know isn't nothing spectacular, but I figure this could be a good way to just buy a few boxes and see how it'll perform in my rifle. Then if it turns out to be pretty good stuff I'll go for a couple of cases. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#1]
If it the Sellier and bellot ss109 I found it to be very accurate stuff. But dont confuse it with Santa Barbra.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#2]
if its the green boxed ones they are decent but nowhere near the bang of an XM193
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:49:58 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=162555&w=searchPop[/url]

XM193 sure has a "bang" but the performance isn't up to it's noise out of my 16" bbl'd RRA. What I'm saying is that it has more muzzle flash & recoil than many other  types of ammo I've tried, but its accuracy & velocity isn't better than some others...

S&B SS109 is exceptional out of my RRA...$4 is a good price
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:22:53 PM EDT
[#4]
$4 for it? That's a good price! That's about the same as Winchester white box in Walmart for the plinking grade 55gr FMJ. And this stuff is hotter. I have chorono'ed mine (20") right at 3075-3100fps, which is M855 velocity. I love to shoot heavy steel plates with those green-tipped bastards at 200yds...

Some people like to knock S&B stuff, but I have had nothing but good luck with it. (I have also been lucky with Olympic SS109 and Barnaul, go figure).
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#5]
im not knocking S&B at all or ever
hell I even have a few thousand rounds sitting here
just by feel though it doesnt feel like xm193 on my shoulder
and yes I know XM has a mad flash and bang
i just think it shoots better out of my bushmaster 16" carbine
hell wolf by all means isnt bad either
but seems really inconsistent in its loads
some go bang some poof
and some pfft
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey guys just wanted to pass on Cabelas.com sell ss109 page 27 of there catalog that you can order on line.It sells for 1 can of 250rds for $62.99 and 3cans of 750rds for $179.99
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#7]
S&B SS109 is the most accurate SS109 we have tested.  We got sub-MOA groups at 300 yards from a standard Bushmaster A2 20".  Best of the day was just a hair under 2-1/2" for 5 shots.  It runs about 40 - 50 FPS slow in our testing, and has a heavy muzzle flash on rifles with no FH.  I'd buy all I could afford at $4 a box.  Ops
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#8]
There was a Gun Show nearby during the Weekend.  I bought 2 cases of S&B.  The price was about $168 per.  I just love the stuff.  And so do my guns.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Two questions about the S&B:

1) Quote from AR15 ammo FAQ: "Sellier & Bellot has increasingly been causing "Kabooms" (kB!s)--causing rifles to explode because of weak casings and poor quality control.  You may wish to avoid this ammo."

Is this a thing of the past ?

2) Another quote from AR15 ammo FAQ: "Sellier & Bellot (S&B) and all Russian-made ammo, with the exception of some Wolf-brand loadings, use steel-jacketed bullets. "

Does this not apply to S&B SS109 ? Is it really M855 spec ?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hey guys just wanted to pass on Cabelas.com sell ss109 page 27 of there catalog that you can order on line.It sells for 1 can of 250rds for $62.99 and 3cans of 750rds for $179.99
View Quote

That's for the Olympic stuff, and it's not that great of a price. I would stay far away from Olympic based on the numerous compaints on this board....
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Two questions about the S&B:

1) Quote from AR15 ammo FAQ: "Sellier & Bellot has increasingly been causing "Kabooms" (kB!s)--causing rifles to explode because of weak casings and poor quality control.  You may wish to avoid this ammo."

Is this a thing of the past ?

2) Another quote from AR15 ammo FAQ: "Sellier & Bellot (S&B) and all Russian-made ammo, with the exception of some Wolf-brand loadings, use steel-jacketed bullets. "

Does this not apply to S&B SS109 ? Is it really M855 spec ?
View Quote

I have read some horror stories about S&B causing bad things, usually due to insufficient crimp, but, as far as I know, those problems have been limited to their M193-like ammo, not their SS109 rounds.

I can assure you that their SS109 is copper-jacketed, only steel to be found is in the tip penetrator. They fragment beautifully on soft media (water jugs, wet newspaper, watermelons).

For $4 a box I would stock up on quite a bit of it!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the replies, y'all. I'm going to go ahead and get some to try out this weekend. Also, how would any of y'all rate this ammo for a SHTF supply? Currently, I have about a case each of Q3131 and XM193. I know how dependable this ammo is, but what the S&B SS109? To me, it seems that a "Penetrator"-type round would be pretty advantageous to have for use against wild and wooly coyotes and such. [;)] And again, thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 1:36:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, I picked up a case (actually 37 boxes, all he had left) of this stuff from the dealer. He was asking $4/box, but he let me have it all for $125...that's $3.37/box!! Even with taxes it came out to only $3.60/box.

Anyway, I was able to shoot some over this weekend. All I can say is, "WOW!" This stuff is pretty accurate. Now, I'm not really up on which bullet-weight goes well with which twist-rate, but this load definately does better out of my 1:9 than any of the m193 loads that I've tried (mainly, it seemed to be more consistent).

Anyway, this is some good looking ammo, too. Also, I was kinda surprised to find the NATO-headstamp on S&B?!?! But sure as shit, it's on there.    
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:16:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like I need to try some of the S&B SS109. I got a carbine length AR...is the 62gr SS109 a good defense load?  What about this ammo for SHTF purposes?  Any intel would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#15]
SELLIER & BELLOT SS109 is FINE!!Pretty accurate stuff
SANTA BARBRA SS109 is the Most accurate SS109 Ive shot to date
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I shot up about 400 rounds of S&B SS109 on the Fourth. It works fine but stinks of ammonia.

I tried to do a 30 round mag dump but had to stop after around twenty and wait for the cloud to clear.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I shot up about 400 rounds of S&B SS109 on the Fourth. It works fine but stinks of ammonia.
View Quote

Correct me if I am wrong but I was told that the ammonia smell was a powder preservative that the factory used.  Is that true?

As for the SS109 and the regular 55gr FMJ ammo that S&B produces I have not had any problems with it.  I would almost say it is just as accurate out of my rifle as the Q3131A is.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top