Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/28/2003 8:55:44 AM EDT
How long can i expect to be able to store XM193 or Q3131A?  Since itr is sealed, how long till heat and humidity would affect it?  Would putting dessicant packs or storing inside corrosion inhibiting bags help?  What is the best method for long term storage?

Also, how about Winchester Ranger pistol ammo?  Time it can be stored, how, etc?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I have shot ammo from WW2
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Three major factors in the break down of ammo are time & temperature plus humidity.

The best place to keep ammo (for the ammo that is ;-) would be in a nice cool dry place ... such as the master bed room closet of you house with the AC on in the summer ....

A simple way to store ammo, is package it in clean metal USGI ammo cans with good seals, possible after leaving sit around inside the house for a few weeks during the cold of winter if you heat with force air (lower humidity).

Stored correctly should be VERY VERY good for five years plus (here we are talking failure rates measured in PPM and most of use do not shoot the millions of rounds to get a good feel for the actual failures rate ;-) and still not bad ammo for dozens of years.

Lastly, if it was me I would stay away from the new "no lead" clean ammo for any long term storage ... if only since is new (was similar issues back before WWII with the early non-corrosive sporting primers).

Then just date and rotate through each 1000 round can every few weeks or years depending on the level of shooting.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Last Saturday I burned up some .223 stuff i've had since 1983...and it went BANG.........no special storage required.....

[sniper2]          [headbang]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Life of stored ammo? Pretty boring I'd guess. Sittin' 'round in cans waitin' for SHTF and end of the world as we now no it stuff to happen. I'd rather be cheap plinkin' ammo myself.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[url]www.ammo-oracle.com[/url]

-Troy
View Quote

I second that.  Also, what JTinIN said above.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I just keep it in ammo cans or something similar and put in a few little dessicant cans or bags with the ammo.  It should last far longer than you will have it like this. understanding of course, that your keeping it inside  fairly even temp'd environs.  Heat and HUMIDITY are the killers not so much the amount of time!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#8]
last week i shot some ugly tarnished LC 77 that had been on strippers for 25yrs. good hot ammo.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top