Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/24/2003 5:21:32 AM EDT
Anyone know who makes russian 5.56 with a brass case? I'm getting a 1000rds of it today. From the box descripion, bule,white and red box It sounds like Brunaul ammo. It's a 62gr BTHP. But the Brunaul 62grBTHP is shown as steel case not brass on the website. But they do show a listing for a 62gr round but it's listed as NATO spec. Anyone have any Ideas? Anyway this is what i'm getting instead of 2000rds of wolf since the place decided they can't find any wolf. Once i see this stuff and pop a couple mags of it after work I'll let you guys know what it is exactly and if it's any good.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Brunaul makes nato spec .223 which is brass cased(or it wouldn't be nato spec). long story short it's subtitution ammo, I'm gettin the 1k rounds and the rest of my money back. I threw in on ammo with a couple guys at the gun club. i really don't care if it's steel or not my AR will eat it and i'm out of .223 so something is better than nothing right now. I'll know more later when i get to see the stuff, and pop some off.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]
i shoot the 55 grn stuff its not bad stuff in my experiance
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I bet it's Igman ammo from Bosnia.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#6]
It was probably a BS ad. I often see Russian steel cased 62 gr ammo listed as "NATO spec" ammo. There is nothing NATO spec about it, it's just a BS statement attached by the seller to make it appear more desirable. I have never seen any Russian ammo that was close to being NATO spec when it comes to .223. The bullets aren't the same, the cases aren't the same, the powder isn't the same, basically none of it is the same.

To be NATO spec it would have to use certain components, such as the FN SS109 bullet. Many just incorrectly assume that any 62 gr bullet is the same. But the Russian 62 gr bullets use an entirely different construction. They use thicker jackets and are loaded to SAAMI specs instead of military velocities. This ammo isn't even close to being as good as US or Israeli M855 62 gr ammo. But it may do well enough for you if plinking is the only goal. Be careful with some sales people. They will often mislead you badly. Expect the Barnaul to be similar to other Russian ammo such as Wolf, but it might be a bit more accurate and less dirty.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats what I was thinking.
View Quote

It could also be HotShot which is also made in Bosnia.  In either case, if it is Bosnian, it is pretty decent ammo from what I have heard from those who have tried it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:37:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When it shows up, it's gonna be steel-cased.  Russians don't make any brass-cased ammo.  Who sold this stuff to you?

-Troy
View Quote

Well i agreed with ya and we were right. I still don't know where he got the brass casesed from. I checked Burnaul's website again and they do make ammo with brass case, but I don't know what all cals they make it in. I know for sure they have brass case 30-06. This was the first time i played with their .223. Not bad, seems a little more accurate than the wolf, a little cleaner, don't smell as bad. I may just have to get some more of this stuff. I think i may try to get some of the brass cased 06 if i can just to play around with it and see if it's any good.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top