Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2003 9:55:27 PM EDT
What are your recommendations for the ammo with the lowest muzzle flash in a 16" BARREL?  Reading all the sources I could find, the closest mention was that .223 NATO XM193 had powder additives to minimize "flash".

It's too big a job to sample every brand to make a determination by myself. Don't get to shoot that often. There are so many other considerations that complicate the issue (accuracy, trajectory, expansion, noise, etc., etc.), that one cartridge can't do everything.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:25:41 AM EDT
[#1]
South African Milsurp has the lowest Flash in a 5.56 round.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:01:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I have read that Black Hills ammo has a flash retardant although I haven't used it myself.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Attach a vortex! problem solved.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#4]
South African M1A3 and Black Hills 75gr & 68gr had relatively low flash.  An orangle bobble from the end of 16" post ban barrels.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I compared some ammo at night in my post ban Dissipator and found the South African and the Swiss surplus to have the lowest muzzle flash. I was also very pleased to see my handloads with Win 748 and IMR4198 powder had very little flash as well.

Wolf 55 gr ammo had a very erratic flash one round would have a relatively small flash while the next would produce a giant fireball.

XM193, Q3131A and Winchester SS109 consistently produced rather large fireballs.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Bottom_Gun, thanks for info. Exactly what I needed. Unfortunately I just sent for (500) XM193 Nato by Federal from Natchez.

Where do you get South African ammo? Are they brass cases and what about relative accuracy?

Politically the Swiss turn me off...and I don't want to help their export balance of payments.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#7]
At the moment I don't know of any places to buy South African M1A3 or M1A4 resonably.  The ammo is brass cased but beridan primed.

Swiss ammo is decent for target shooting, but poor for defensive use as it doesn't fragment well.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Attach a vortex! problem solved.
View Quote

Verboten on "post bans"... and it requires a threaded barrel. Which no legitimate gunsmith would touch with a 10 feet pole. Any do-it-yourselfer with a machine lathe could handle it but it's not worth the risk to either.

Cheapest, wisest solution would be to get a $200 permit and have a silencer installed, legally. Or, buy a used pre-ban upper and barrel.

...the hell with it. I've got more important things to do.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#9]
My experience with Q3131A was rather good. They didn't have too much flash, even from my post-ban barrel with muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Turboman,

The SA ammo I shot was some I picked up a while ago when the battle packs were available. It was brass case but berdan primed. I believe it's 1986 or 1988 vintage. Accuracy was very good.
In any case, I haven't seen any available lately. I wish I had more.

You may want to consider loading some using the Winchester 55 gr FMJ. They appear to be the same bullets used in the Q3131A ammo. As I mentioned earlier, flash from my handloads was minimal with the two powders I tried and you can tailor a load to suit your rifle for accuracy.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top