Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/13/2003 12:18:01 PM EDT
After much effort, one of the local shops was able to "obtain" about 35K rounds of XM193... which is a real coup as this is the first XM193 I (or anyone else) has yet seen here in Canada... and we have looked...

All of the ammo is white boxed, marked LOT 7, and has the "LC 01" headstamp... My question... are there any known issues with this lot number...?

I thought I would ask the guys that know best (here at ar15.com) before I go blow a bunch of cash on my stash... they're asking $325.00 Canadian for 1K rounds (which is about $240.00 USD)...

Thanks in advance for your input...!

STP.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I couldn't tell you about Lot#7. I have shot about 1000 rounds of Lot#1 with no problems. I have some more on the way from SG. Try a search on this site for "XM193" I'm sure you'll find plenty to read. My understanding is that at some point (Lot#?)Federal stopped sealing the bullet & primer pocket if that is important to you. Hopefully somebody has actually shot some of Lot#7 will chime in.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My understanding is that at some point (Lot#?)Federal stopped sealing the bullet & primer pocket if that is important to you.
View Quote

I'm guessing it was at some point before Lot #7 'cause there's no sealant on these rounds... which isn't that big a deal I guess save for some restrictions on showering with a loaded weapon (as per my usual routine...)

Any idea if Federal still seals the stuff that the GIs get...?

Thanks again...

STP.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Any idea if Federal still seals the stuff that the GIs get...?

View Quote

Lake City does!  
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Last lot I bought was #13 and it is sealed. I also have #7 and there is nothing wrong with it. #13 is slightly hotter (40fps on average) with a better standard dev.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
After much effort, one of the local shops was able to "obtain" about 35K rounds of XM193... which is a real coup as this is the first XM193 I (or anyone else) has yet seen here in Canada... and we have looked...

All of the ammo is white boxed, marked LOT 7, and has the "LC 01" headstamp... My question... are there any known issues with this lot number...?

I thought I would ask the guys that know best (here at ar15.com) before I go blow a bunch of cash on my stash... they're asking $325.00 Canadian for 1K rounds (which is about $240.00 USD)...

Thanks in advance for your input...!

STP.
View Quote

It's all good to go. Lot 6 had no primer or neck sealant - still good stuff, just don't go under water!

There was another lot afterwards with the same no sealant issue...I thought it was Lot 7.
Just look at a cartridge and see if the primer and neck are sealed.

Either way, it's still good ammo.

~ s0ulzer0

Edit: BTW, $240 for a case is about $40-$50 too much.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I have used over 2,000rds of lot #6 with no problems.  I recently got lot #29 and it fired great.  If you store it in ammo cans, I would'nt worry about it being sealed.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:47:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There was another lot afterwards with the same no sealant issue...I thought it was Lot 7.
Just look at a cartridge and see if the primer and neck are sealed.

Either way, it's still good ammo.

~ s0ulzer0

Edit: BTW, $240 for a case is about $40-$50 too much.
View Quote

There's no sealant on Lot #7... I've seen the rounds and am certain that they are sans seal...

As for the $40-$50 too expensive... I would agree based on what I've found on the net (mostly ammoman.com), but I've spoken to Eric in the past and while he was very helpful... they don't sell over the border (so much for free trade I guess...) so I expect that the extra cost is due to increased shipping and duty expense, along with the fact that up here we just don't see M193 (with the exception of the odd case of Winchester Q3131... but it's rare, and costs even more) so they can charge what they can get... if it was me, I would... basic supply and demand...

Thanks for all the advice... I'm gonna' head over and buy what I can afford on Saturday.

Thanks again to everybody...!

STP.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top