Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/2/2003 7:45:37 PM EDT
   I've read about the yawning of the 55gr XM193 and tried to understand it but.....I thought I'd ask the professionals :) ..

I own two AR's, an Armalite M15A4 Carbine 1:9 and an Armalite M15A2 20" 1:9... I'd like to stock up on the best all around " Defense " suited ammo.

I just ordered 1k of the Hornady 75gr HPBT's and I have quite a few of the Fed 55gr XM193's...    From now on, I'd like to buy the same round for plinking as I would use for combat if my ass were ever to come into contact with it.

What do you suggest, I'm not disregarding  cost but......I can always make more money right ???

Which all around bullet, ???

Thanks, Steve...

BTW, bear with me, I'm half-shot due to the birth of my beautiful son..... :)  7lbs 7oz's... >>>> But I still need to know.....Cheers..., Hic...

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:55:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The staked primers and sealant on the primer and bullet make the M193 marginally more reliable.  The Hornady 75 grain OTM will have better terminal ballistics.  I would select the 75 grain reloaded ammo for practice and keep 500 rounds of new loaded ammo for defense.  With a 1/9 barrel I would check to see if your rifle groups well with the 75 grain ammo out to 300 yards though.  If it did not I would use the 68 grain OTM instead of the 75.

Was the ammo you purchased the 3D reloads from the Major?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:48:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes Devyl, I ordered from the Major and I'm expecting it tomorrow or Thursday.
   Good Stuff ?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I have not purchased from him yet but I will do so shortly and compare the velocity of that ammo vs the blue box Black Hills.  Do you have a chrono?  If so please tell us what velocity you get, especially if you have a 14.5 or 16" barrel.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top