Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/31/2003 7:43:14 PM EDT
Hello, I just picked up this ammo & mags yesterday and I was wondering if someone could tell me a little about it? I paid $60 for the whole package.
Most of the ammo is on stripper clips in pouches with mag loaders except for 8 mags that has had ammo in it for quite some time.
Is it safe to fire this ammo?

Is this the original ammo that would have been used in the Vietnam conflict and if so is it worth not shooting or should I go ahead and fire away?

Here's a quick link for some pics on the ammo & markings.,,, http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=2188805&uid=1158496&members=1

Thanks for any help I can get on this ammo.

Jr. :)

http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL205/1158496/2188805/26409588.jpg
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
IMI is Israeli, RA is I believe Remington made the other I can't recall.  All is Viet-Nam era.  Unless it really been abused it should be ok to use as plinking stock.  The 2 numbers are the last two numbers of the year made, 1969, 1970 etc.

And since it appears to be in good shape you might assume it hasn't been abused.  If I knew who I got if from and he/she could give decent provenance (where they got it) and how they stored it, I would plink it away.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#2]
John Thanks for your reply. I really do appreciate it. I'm sort of debating whether or not I should just keep it and properly store it. I'm not to sure if this stuff is out there for sale right now.

Thanks again,

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Man ... if it were me I'd hold onto the shit just for historical significance.  I'd love to have vietnam dated brass or loaded ammo.  Any chance you could send me a few rounds? [:)]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Demordrah, without looking through the pouches I believe that there are 3 or 4 loose rounds in one of the pouches. I'll email you now.

But I think I would like to keep the rest as I'm considering building a room in my garage to display some of my WW2 firearms & accessories. I'm mostly into the US & German C&R stuff but I would love to ad some Korean & Vietnam stuff for display. I think my brother in law would appreciate seeing some Vietnam stuff. I have to scan some of the pics that he has when he was in Vietnam. He carried the M60.
This is why I'm sort of hesitating on firing this ammo. Perhaps I'll shoot a few rounds just to check it out and I'll put the rest away.

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#5]
"TW" is Twin Cities ammunition plant, it is US stuff.  

Noah
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The RA and TW is USGI ammo, the other ammo is IVI not IMI, which means it is canadian.  If the cases are not heavily corroded, it should be safe to shoot, hell people still shoot surplus from WWII.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top