Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2003 12:03:18 AM EDT
Here are photos of some of what I pulled out of a half case of Indian .308 surplus.  This will likely be the last of this that I buy.

Crushed case necks, overseated bullets, and severely dented, warped or marred brass are everywhere in this stuff!  This was the first ammo in a long time that I was timid about shooting.  I found all of these in the first 200 rounds; there were so many that I triple checked what I'd already inspected just in case that by sheer volume one got by me.

The pics are large to show detail.

This is typical of the case damage.

This, like a few others, had so much crud on the case rim that I wasn't sure if my extractor could grab it.

This is a cross section of case neck damage many rounds showed, it varied in degrees of severity, from mild warpage to complete crushing of the mouth of the case.  Many bullets were seated unevenly, with some having the bullet so far in the case that the cannulure wasn't visible.

This is the most extreme of the overseated rounds (next to an undamaged round) and the worst one I've pulled so far.  Ironically I found it while I was trying to show Wolfpack just how crappy this ammo was, in the very first pouch that I picked up.

Another thing that pisses me off about this ammo is that it is packaged in clear plastic for each 10 rounds of ammo. Only some of the packs only had 9 rounds!

For what it's worth, the 200 or so that I inspected and shot gave me no problems at all.  I can't say about accuracy since I was only function firing and at a night shoot.

Buy this stuff only if you can find it DIRT CHEAP and then only as a last resort. I'm actually afraid that this ammo will hurt someone if a damaged round is touched off.  Get the Portugese surplus if you can, it's of much better quality, steel core be damned.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:24:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Surplus Ammo Commandment #1

[b]Thou shalt not buy ammo from a country that pisses in it's own drinking water![/b]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:29:54 AM EDT
[#3]
damn! them folks are selling bagged trash.
it looks like all the rounds that failed to feed and tossed on a range floor got swept up, boxed and sold.

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Geezus! Where did you purchase these from?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Geezus! Where did you purchase these from?
View Quote

The last Funshow...  I was so used to the Portugese quality that I didn't even inspect this stuff.  Live and learn.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the heads up Gunbert!
How many uneducate/less than alert shooters are going to be hurt, or worse by that POS ammo?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Makes you wonder if its from lots that were rejected by the gummint and some smooth dealer picked it up to sell to the less than brilliant Yankees.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like an early attempt to reload by using a hammer.  I wonder if the manufacturer used gasoline for propellant instead of smokeless powder?!?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought some surplus arrows from the indians.  They shot great.

To think that you would put that crap in the beautiful FAL I sold.

Makes me want to cry...

[>(]
It is yours, I guess you can do what you want.

[:D]

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like it fell off the elephant and the cows walked on it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought some surplus arrows from the indians.  They shot great.

Makes me want to cry...

[>(]

View Quote

Gunbert-----> [chair] <------FirearmTom1

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Makes me want to cry...

View Quote

Better me than Wolfpack, if he'd gotten it all it would do is sit in his safe and collect dust.  That gun was meant to be shot, and shoot it I do!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Makes you wonder if its from lots that were rejected by the gummint and some smooth dealer picked it up to sell to the less than brilliant Yankees.
View Quote

Looks to me like ammo that has been jammed and recovered, swept up and packaged.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#14]
There was a huge thread about this a while back. Ammoman started selling this stuff and everyone that got it had the exact same results as you. The ammo was horribly damaged and most people were afraid to shoot it. Ammoman stopped selling it eventually.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes me want to cry...

View Quote

Better me than Wolfpack, if he'd gotten it all it would do is sit in his safe and collect dust.  That gun was meant to be shot, and shoot it I do!
View Quote

[b]50 CALIBER WATCH 2003[/b]

Update...this just in,

Wolfpack is going to shoot the 50 cal.

More info to follow.

Again, I repeat, Wolfpack is going to shoot the 50 cal...

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll believe it when I see it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'll believe it when I see it.
View Quote

[b]Who[/b] is shooting [b]what[/b]? [:\]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#18]
For something REALLY scary - India has NUKES too!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry you guys had to go through this. If you search back far enough in time, earlier this year a bunch of us, me included had this same bad experience with the Indian 308 ammo. We had gotten if from the Ammoman. Mine's just taking up space in  my basement currently....ECS
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, Gunbert and I went in on a can of this stuff at the last show.  It was cheap.  Quite honestly I hadn’t even looked closely at the stuff until I read this post.  It is indeed rough, to say the least.  I think I shall not shoot this through my nice new beautiful M1A.  We’ll do better next time, bro.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Bump for those who haven't seen this yet.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#22]
At least this Indian ammo is consistent.  

How did you guys miss all the screaming that went on when Ammoman was selling this stuff?

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=152963&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:00:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
At least this Indian ammo is consistant.  

How did you guys miss all the screaming that went on when Ammoman was selling this stuff?

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=152963&w=searchPop[/url]
View Quote

Huh... I dunno how I missed all that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For something REALLY scary - India has NUKES too!
View Quote

That doesn't scare me at all--[b]I'M[/b] not the one who'd have to pull the trigger!

I heard something about the Ammoman uproar, but never really got the story. Thanks for the heads up.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top