Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/25/2003 6:01:02 PM EDT
Put 180 rounds of it down dads non chromed HBAR and fired 200+ rounds of Barnaul down my 1-12 chromed colt barreled dpms.

Silver bear is pure sh!t! as the chamber started to get dirty roughly 60-70 rounds the cases would stick in the chamber! it took pounding with a cleaning rod to remove them. then i would scrub the chamber out with FP-10 a patch and the chamber brush and fire another 60 and bang chamber locked up. pound it out and clean again. this rifle is perfectly reliable with brass cased ammo. the load was the new 55 grn HP.

the barnaul feed and extracted flawlessly from my colt barrel dpms. fired over 200 rounds of it and some wolf. will definatly be feeding my ar more of this!

also i feed dad's some barnaul 62 grn and some of the barnaul 55 grn. it ate that with out malfing.

side note. women like fp-10. mom gomes out to the porch while we are cleaning them and says "wow it smells good out here!"
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the save!  I was considering buying some silver bear.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:06:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Silver bear is pure sh!t!
View Quote

There have been many more posts on this forum that disagree with your assessment of Silver Bear.  I can't remember seeing one review that stated problems with extracting or chambering.  I'm going to have to go with the majority of the reviews at this time.  I've ordered 1000 rounds and I'll be sure to let everyone here know how they work for me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Tomorrow I will be blasting Silver Bear 62gr steel case ammo out of my Colt M-4 - wish me luck and I will give a full report tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Silver bear is pure sh!t! as the chamber started to get dirty roughly 60-70 rounds the cases would stick in the chamber
View Quote

Eummm. I dont know you or anything, but are you sure your not UNDER estimating that number?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Just got back from the range.  I fired 550 rounds of Silver Bear 62gr HP through my Colt M-4.  NOT A SINGLE MALFUNCTION.  I was very pleased with the reliability of this round.  Bolt held open last shot, every round fired.  I am very happy with this stuff and just bought some more at the local shop.

As for match grade accuracy?  NOPE.  This is plinking and blasting ammo.  I cleaned my rifle and there was not much "lacquer" gunked in the chamber or bolt face.  Smell was normal.  The stuff worked for me and this Sunday I'm gonna blast off another 300 rounds.  I'll keep you guys updated.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:30:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just got back from the range.  I fired 550 rounds of Silver Bear 62gr HP through my Colt M-4.  NOT A SINGLE MALFUNCTION.  I was very pleased with the reliability of this round.  Bolt held open last shot, every round fired.  I am very happy with this stuff and just bought some more at the local shop.

As for match grade accuracy?  NOPE.  This is plinking and blasting ammo.  I cleaned my rifle and there was not much "lacquer" gunked in the chamber or bolt face.  Smell was normal.  The stuff worked for me and this Sunday I'm gonna blast off another 300 rounds.  I'll keep you guys updated.
View Quote

Great to hear.  Your report seems to be what everyone else is saying.  Of course, you shouldn't have ANY "lacquer" gunked inthe chamber as the rounds don't have any lacquer on them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:07:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Great to hear.  Your report seems to be what everyone else is saying.  Of course, you shouldn't have ANY "lacquer" gunked inthe chamber as the rounds don't have any lacquer on them.
View Quote

That's right; Silver Bear cases are zinc plated steel.  No lacquer on them.  

I fired 210 rounds of Silver Bear on Monday evening from both my Bushmaster A2 Carbine w/AK brake, and my pg-converted 922r compliant .223 Saiga.  Both had no failures and for accuracy both were getting minute of dirt clod at 100 yards, and minute of yellow plastic oil bottle at 200 yards.  Not match quality but still a dead guy.

Noah
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Well not laquer but that "red" stuff around the primer.  That stuff kind of accumlated on the bolt face but it came off during cleaning.  Good stuff
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Personally, I couldn't agree more.  I just bought 1000 rounds of Wolf and 1000 rounds of Silver Bear.  I really liked the Silver Bear 62gr. HP.  I shot 14 rounds at 100 yards and even though I'm not as young as I used to bo, I got a 2" grouping.  The 62gr. will carry a little further with a tad bit more accuracy.  No fouling what so ever and that's through a built AR-15 with a 16" barrel.  For long distance with a scope, 230 yards, 1.5" grouping.  I like to go out and shoot just to work off my built up agressions.  300 to 500 rounds at a time is normal for me.  I was so impressed with the Silver Bear ammo that I bought 2000 rounds of it for my SKS.  Now if they'd only come out with 22/250 for my Striker pistol.  I'd be one happy camper.  Oh and one other thing,

Semper Fi 76/77
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Incidentally.. what sort of packaging does the Barnaul ammunition come in? Purple boxes? Or am I thinking of something else...
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#11]
nope. i after the 2 nd time pounding out a case i was counting the rounds. fired off a 20 round mag, then a 30 and was working my way through another 30 when the caseing got stuck for the 3rd time.

NOTE THIS WAS WITH THE 55GRN HP LOAD. not the 62grn stuff you guys have been shooting.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Silver bear is pure sh!t! as the chamber started to get dirty roughly 60-70 rounds the cases would stick in the chamber
View Quote

Eummm. I dont know you or anything, but are you sure your not UNDER estimating that number?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I know some people have been touching on this topic but...

has anyone noticed extractor wear from using Silver Bear??  A guy at the range was telling me that he "thought" his extractor was wearing down after shooting 1000 rounds of silver bear in a weekend (that's a lot of shooting!) so he had to purchase a new one just to be safe.  He did not experience any malfuctions but he "thought" by looking at the extractor during cleaning it looked worn down.

Any evidence of this?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder if the "wear" could actually be shiny zinc that was just scratched off the cases?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top