Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2003 8:17:53 PM EDT
I got some Black Hills 52grn MHP and the tips have what almost looks like cardboard in them.  Should I scrape the stuff out with a needle or does it even really affect the accuracy at all?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 1:24:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Shoot some groups with the stuff in and then after you have removed it and see what you get. It may not be worth the time and trouble to dig it out but it's easy to find out.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#2]
It's probably tumbling media that is used to polish and shine the bullets. It's probably corn cob hulls. I hate this in hollow point bullets and usually take a pin and dig out the material. Not for improving accuracy but just don't want to fire it down the barrel with something in the tip.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably media.  If you want repeateable accuracy it's gotta come out.  It will be different from round to round.  Probably some will be off balance which should really screw up bullet flight, etc.  Now if yer bang-banging fer fun it might not matter but if your trying to get a small group pat about a hundred yards I spect it will be a real hassle.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I figured it would mess with my accuracy.  Just about 1 out of every three is a flyer with the other two touching or almost.  Looks like I got a project for tommorow.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 1:43:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I figured it would mess with my accuracy.  Just about 1 out of every three is a flyer with the other two touching or almost.  Looks like I got a project for tommorow.
View Quote

Talking about a waist of time....

I also hated the sight of the bullets butI have shot 1000's of hornady 68 and 52 with media grains in the tip. Never had any ill effect from it. This is the consensus in the matchshooting scene as well.

To explain those flyers the media in the tip theory is a bit unlikely, there are more influencial factors you need to rule out first. What distance do you shoot hose 52's? 100 I guess?

Cheers,
Bollocks
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I would suppose the flight at Mach 3 will incinerate this piece of fluff about two inches past the muzzle.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top