Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 1:31:29 PM EDT
I was down at one of 3 gun stores around my area today, and noticed they had cases of Wolf on the shelf.  

I went in for a closer inspection thinking maybe I won't have to order online anymore when lo and behold the price tag said.......

$200.00 !!!!!

I almost shit my pants, who the hell would actually buy Wolf at that price???  Must be some real suckers.  

That store forever lost my business just for trying to sell that stuff for that price.  I

checked out another store around here that had it for $135 a few weeks ago, and I thought that was bad........
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I try to support the local dealers in most of my hobbies.  If we don't use them we lose them.  But in a case like that (sorry) I sure wouldn't.  I might even ask him if the price was wrong and let the coversation politely wander to the "jeez it was $$$ at the other guys the other day" maybe they're dumpin it..

Depends on how well I knew him.  The local dealer need to be competitive and make a living.  But I won't be ridiculous in things.  I seen a lot of gunstore guys that had zip business savvy and less customer relations skills.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#2]
That wasn't Fairly Honest Don's was it? I ran into some kids shootin' Wolf 7.62x39 and they said he charged them $75. for 500 rounds! I think I saw Wolf .223 for something like $4. a box! What an ASSHOLE. I also tried the but Keith's got it cheaper and he didn't seem to give a shit.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The owner must of had a boat payment due. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#4]
WOW, is all I can say.  The shop I go to has Q3131a for $189.00 per 1,000.  Their wolf is $119.00 per 1,000.  Nice guys.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I buy 1000 rounds of Wolf 55gr. FMJ for $99.99 from my dealer. $87.99 for 1000 rounds of 115gr. FMJ 9x19mm.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The guy that owns the store is rich also.  He has so much money, and owns other busineses also.  

My opinion is that he is an asshole for even trying to sell Wolf for 200.00 per 1,000 rds.  I could see maybe Q3131A or XM 193, but not wolf.  I'll stick to buying ammo online from Sportsmans guide or ammoman.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Look at it from the dealer's perspectice -- he doesn't have to sell a lot of it at those prices to make money.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I know TNT on Long Island had Winchester 3131a or XM193 for $230 a case.  I know that's expensive, but owning a store you have alot of overhead and it is a business, they need to make their profit.  I buy bulk online, but if I need 100-200 rounds for the range, I'll pick it up locally.  Even if I spend a little more, it's good to help out your local guy, plus I like getting looks walking out of the store, it really pisses some people off.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know TNT on Long Island had Winchester 3131a or XM193 for $230 a case.  I know that's expensive, but owning a store you have alot of overhead and it is a business, they need to make their profit.  I buy bulk online, but if I need 100-200 rounds for the range, I'll pick it up locally.  Even if I spend a little more, it's good to help out your local guy, plus I like getting looks walking out of the store, it really pisses some people off.
View Quote

TNT is a rip off store.  They ripped me off on the purchase of an Ithaca .22 Lightning when I was younger and stupider and recently ripped off a friend of mine (who TNT generously traded his LNIB stainless Ruger Mini 30 and $100 of my friend's money for a used SAR1).

I would never shop there again, even in a pinch.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#10]
try Q3131A for $216.00  at carters country.

I now order from ammoman.com.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#11]
If that was the Portland, Oregon area I would bet anything that it was The Gun Room on Foster Blvd.  Am I right?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:36:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I went by one here and noticed they had wolf, so I asked about the price and it was about 50% more then what you pay online usually. A box was just barely cheaper then the UMC at walmart.
I think i will order online from now on.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:03:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Keiths advertises Wolf for $110. a case.  I called them, but they are out of stock right now.  Actually, Ammoman at $125. is about the same deal as I would have had to drive about 50 miles to get to Keiths.  Supporting great on-line dealers is a good thing too!

I never cared for Fairly Honest Don's myself, but the wife had a good experience with them.  She went there to buy me a Hi-Point Carbine for Christmas and was treated very good.  The price was right and they installed the sling for her while she waited.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:36:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Collectors in Hopewell Junction has Wolf 7.62x39 for around $100 per case.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:51:49 AM EDT
[#15]
We have a shop here in Cincinnati that tries to sell Wolf .223 for $4/box.  Only the desperate would buy from them.  The guy who runs the place is also a bit rude.  Any Cincinnatians want to guess what suburb the shop is located in?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#16]
If I'm just lookin' for 100 to 200 rounds for what Don's is selling Wolf for I can go to Bi-Mart and get UMC and that's brass ammo that don't fail in my AR. Why the hell would I pay $4. a box Russian for plinkin' ammo? I buy Wolf for my AK and the 55 gr. works well in my AR but I be damned if I make his Hummer payments for him.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I'm just lookin' for 100 to 200 rounds for what Don's is selling Wolf for I can go to Bi-Mart and get UMC and that's brass ammo that don't fail in my AR. Why the hell would I pay $4. a box Russian for plinkin' ammo? I buy Wolf for my AK and the 55 gr. works well in my AR but I be damned if I make his Hummer payments for him.
View Quote

It seems that that price is more the norm than the exception.  The little shop closest to my place has single box Wolf for $3.95 each too.  Wally World has the UMC for $3.83 a box and sometimes the Winchester 40 round box for a little under $8. (it disappears off the shelf pretty fast though).

Hoppy
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#18]
At the last funshow I was at, the biggest vendor there had Barnaul .223 SP's there for $6 per box... I think he actually sold a few too.  His gun prices weren't too bad, though.  I actually bought a P32 from him at another show a few months before.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Think of it like the guy who knows where to go on the internet is a bloodhound for good deals(guns too). You won't be taken to the cleaners, no way!
 The sucker who just blew his wad for a firearm now needs some ammo, so he buys the $200 Wolf as long as he now has his new toy, and it is sure convenient to pick it up at the same place.
 I have found a few local dealers that make jack squat on new firearms sales(their prices aren't bad), but they charge like the tide on ammo and accessories.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#20]
It seems that that price is more the norm than the exception. The little shop closest to my place has single box Wolf for $3.95 each too. Wally World has the UMC for $3.83 a box and sometimes the Winchester 40 round box for a little under $8. (it disappears off the shelf pretty fast though).
View Quote

So why would you want to support some guy who's sellin' Wolf for more than you could buy the UMC for? There's another shop in town that sells black powder guns and this clown was selling a used Navy Arms Colt Navy for more money than a new one was going for in the same shop. Anymore ya have to do six months of research before ya buy anything just to keep from getting ripped off.

Oh ya and Don's had XM193 for fifty cents a box more than he was selling the Wolf for.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#21]
"I went in for a closer inspection thinking maybe I won't have to order online anymore when lo and behold the price tag said.......

$200.00 !!!!!"

Remember kids, Crack Kills.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:25:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So why would you want to support some guy who's sellin' Wolf for more than you could buy the UMC for?
View Quote

That's easy...I don't.  He's the closest gun shop and that's about 30 miles.  Wal-Mart is right across the highway.  ;-)

Hoppy
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:20:19 AM EDT
[#23]
how about a gun shop in NW indiana where conversations like this take place:

Me "do you have a kimber .22 in stock"

him "I think so, here it is..." takes down a vintage model 82, possibly used, long out of production and from the older Kimber factory.

Me "This isn't their current model is it?"

him.. total confusion... "Well, there is some Kimber literature over in the corner"

This is what you get froma Kimber "master dealer", lol.  Although, admittedly, he did say the owner would be in on Monday.  These guys had their gun prices hovering right at or near sticker, too.
Another Kimber 'master dealer' took my name down to give me a call if they ever got a .22 classic in.  that was months ago.

It's really interesting with gun dealers.  You never know what kind of treatment you'll get.  The best of them either know what they are talking about, or are honest with you, say they'll find out, and then do.  Overall, I'd say that the industry could use more professional sales people in ownership positions.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Me...  "Hey, Bob!"

Bob... "Hello, Sir!!"  (just a bit of poetic license, there)

Me... "I need 1k of 7.62 Wolf JHP, got any?"

Bob... "You got a Franklin for me?"

Me... "Well, Hell no, you know I just paid your brother in law to put a new roof on my house.."

Bob...  "Then take your sorry ass outta here, pick up that case of Wolf you called about an hour ago, and get the fuck outta here."

Me...  "Yes, Sir!"

Running a tab at the fun store sucks....sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The guy that owns the store is rich also.  He has so much money, and owns other busineses also.  

My opinion is that he is an asshole for even trying to sell Wolf for 200.00 per 1,000 rds.  I could see maybe Q3131A or XM 193, but not wolf.  I'll stick to buying ammo online from Sportsmans guide or ammoman.
View Quote

Now you know why he's rich........ [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We have a shop here in Cincinnati that tries to sell Wolf .223 for $4/box.  Only the desperate would buy from them.  The guy who runs the place is also a bit rude.  Any Cincinnatians want to guess what suburb the shop is located in?
View Quote

I'm guessing it may be one of a couple of places in town.  The guy that runs "The Hawken Shop" in Norwood is an asshole so that would be my first guess.  Otherwise, I know that Peterson's has some pretty outrageous prices on his milsurps...never got around to looking at his ammo.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Not Peterson's or the Hawken Shop...Think EAST! Not even Hawken would sell Wolf for $4/box.  The place I'm thinking of refused to sell me some reasonably priced AR mags after I questioned the price of the Wolf ammo.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Up where I live we have one of those whacky survivalist stores where everything seems to be overpriced and you can buy gold and silver coins for 3x actual value. They had some of the old Chinese steel core 7.62x39 for only $ 8 a box ! when I asked why so much $$ and he says it's super rare ammo for when the SHTF!
Most other G-shops around here sell Wolf 7.62x39 for $ 4 box + tax and it's only $ 89 a case at the gunshow or $ 1.70 a box ...
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:09:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Collin - I just happened to be in Milford yesterday and noticed Wolf at $4/box.  [;)]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:43:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I just visited "Bob", paid the franklin I owed him for the case of 7.62 Wolf I picked up a couple of days ago.  Tab settled.

Sorry bastard let me talk myself into another pistol order.  He's a good guy, but, DAMN!!! he always talks me into buying something.  Something I have been thinking about for a day or 2, at least.

"Bob, you need some up front cash to make the order?"

" Naahhh....You'll be back in a couple of days...."

He's right.

For some reason, he's always right.

Get to know your local yokels.  Do some business with them. It takes some time to know who you can deal with. You will be pleased with the results.  I know I am.

Kinda like weeding your garden.......

Edited to place a "y" where I originally put a "w"
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I just picked up 500 rounds of .223 Wolf FMJ for $50. at Northwest Armory. They had 20 round boxes for $2.36. It's too bad that Fairly Honest Don is so rich he don't waste his time hangin' out with all us regular folks here. I'd like to here why he can charge almost double what everyone else in town sells it for and still sleep at night. Is it that much fun being a rip off? Part of the reason people buy guns is to protect themselves from being ripped off but they'll bend over for assholes like Don.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Collin - I just happened to be in Milford yesterday and noticed Wolf at $4/box.  [;)]
View Quote

We have a winner!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top