Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/11/2003 9:20:03 AM EDT
Your opinions on this Brass case, 55grn, FMJ, Non-corrosive, Boxer Primer for my Bushy M4 please? I never shot this brand name before and it's on sale at AIM for $150 for 1,000 rounds. Is that a good price?
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I like it.  I still have the Steel cased S&B, but my AR's had once it while some problems with it double feeding at times.

But .. The .223 Brass Cased S&B in Green Boxes function real well, and have had no problems with it.  Not even one.  I do not reload, so it is not a problem - The brass seems not thick enough for reloading, I have read, but it is Okay if you do not re-load. The Bullets have a steel neting on the inside of some sort, but Bushmasters have chrome lined Barrels so no problem there of wear. The loaded power level of them Ammo some say it is not to the level of Milspec but it has always cycled for me. It is good Ammo.

I sure People will tell you, at that price why don't you order Q3131A or XM193 which is Milspec. at www.wholehunter.com

[url]http://www.wholesalehunter.com/privatespecials/deals.htm][/url]
They seem to be out of Q3131A - they are asking to check back in 48 Hrs.

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I have had good luck with the S&B green box stuff as well. I believe it is a copper washed steel jacket on the bullet. My 20" Bushy likes it alot. I get ~1.5" - 2.5" groups @100yds with iron sights. I also don't reload as of yet so I can't comment on that question. I have put maybe 800 rnds of this thru my rifle with 2 failure to fires. For the price I think it's great range/practice ammo. For SHTF storage ammo I have LC XM193 and Winchester Q3131A.

Shabo
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I have used S&B green box as well.  I believe it is has a steel jacket, so it is lousy for fragmentation, but works great on harder targets.

Accuracy was among the best for cheap plinker ammo.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I've used it off and on for about 5 years with no problems, and recent groups are pretty good for FMJ ammo.  I have also reloaded most of my S&B brass 4 or 5 times with no problems.

That said, I mainly buy XM193 or Q3131a that I can find on sale for the same or lower price.  Why not go with the "best" M193?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:44:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used a couple cases of it without a problem until the last time.  Had a blown primer get stuck in front of the bolt and cause a jam.  Cleared it and all was well the rest of the session.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:48:35 AM EDT
[#6]
The price seems a bit high.  $124 is more in line with what I’ve paid for a case in the past.
But S&B ammo is about the most accurate Factory Ammo my rifles regularly eat.
GO for it!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I shot around 200 rounds of new (not reloaded)S&B this Saturday.  As I was picking up my brass, I noticed 2 cases which were split, about 1/2" long, starting .2" from the base to around .75" from the base.  I need to examine the rest of my brass to see how often this happened.

Any insight?  Where's the problem?

Richardson
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#8]
its okay
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#9]
This stuff is crap. I bought 2000 rds. Brass splits 3 out of every 4 shots, Returned 1000 to the shop I bought it at and plan on disposing of the remaining 700 rds.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:38:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I have used the S&B brass case/steel bullet for my Bushmaster M-4 and it shoots nice, tight groups. My pre-ban Colt AR15 Sporter II likes it, too. If you have an issue, S&B will also stand behind their ammo without question. Natchez SS was selling it for a little less than your $150/case quote a few months ago, but haven't checked lately.

I would suggest looking at the Win Q3131A Israeli stuff at Wholesale Hunter for only $164, as that's probably the best deal for A-1 5.56 mil-spec ammo around right now, at least until the South African surplus stuff hits the market again, if ever.

Tight Groups,
phoenix27
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Man after shooting for over 30 years Ive been lucky!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top