Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/6/2003 1:47:51 PM EDT
Anybody have more info? From what I've read sounds like they are conducting trials with this ammo right now. Sounds to good to be true: less heat exchange to weapon, less weight, no case corrosion. If mass produced I wonder If it will be cheaper?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably won't be reloadable.

Brass cases take heat away from the chamber, thus cooling it.  This is a good thing.  

Unless all the heat is then blown out of the muzzle for some reason, your gun would heat up faster.  Not a good thing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
It would be good for a subgun.  We already do it right now with shotgun cases.  Slugs too.  They are called ACTIV.  Got an empty box right here.  "patented all alastic hull" Although I don't think it is all plastic, I think that they mold a metal ring in the base to stiffen it and hold the primer.  See article link down below.

[url]http://guns.connect.fi/gow/2030.html[/url]

and then this one, a guys thoughts on the above article

[url]http://www.angelfire.com/art/enchanter/m2030.html[/url]

So what if it wasn't reloadable, it would be very cheap.  A metal base insert would do away with compressed powder.  Blowback operation is very reliable and easy to do.  I bet that it wouldn't bet that hard to do.  Which do you think would be easier if you REALLY had to do it, machining brass cases one by one, or machining one mold for a plastic case and stamping out base inserts?  Plastic injection would use easily available materials.  Cool idea IMHO
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#3]
For lower pressure ammo like handguns, shotguns, and maybe a select few rifle rounds I wouldn't be too opposed to it.   Would certainly be interesting if some of the ammo costs could be reduced by 20-30% by moving away from more involved/expensive metalic cases.

For high powered rifles and for making accurate handloads I'd much prefer to stick with and work with brass casings.

123whisper, you ever seen how the extruded casings are made(wouldn't surprise me if you are a 300Whisper fan as your nickname suggests)?   Wouldn't surprise me if very little actual machining goes into making a metalic case, pretty much everything can be formed by high pressure drawing and forming.   More involved a process than using a synthetic injection molded part probably but we all know brass cases have their uses.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For lower pressure ammo like handguns, shotguns, and maybe a select few rifle rounds I wouldn't be too opposed to it.   Would certainly be interesting if some of the ammo costs could be reduced by 20-30% by moving away from more involved/expensive metalic cases.

For high powered rifles and for making accurate handloads I'd much prefer to stick with and work with brass casings.

123whisper, you ever seen how the extruded casings are made(wouldn't surprise me if you are a 300Whisper fan as your nickname suggests)?   Wouldn't surprise me if very little actual machining goes into making a metalic case, pretty much everything can be formed by high pressure drawing and forming.   More involved a process than using a synthetic injection molded part probably but we all know brass cases have their uses.
View Quote

I have seen how cases are made, true, not much machining, maybe just primer pockets?  Or even that?  But if you HAD to make cases, such as in they were not available due to some reason, everyone thinks of the oft-meantioned SHTF, you would have to machine cases, wouldn't you?  It is possible to do injection molding on a small scale at home.  I can get a link for a book I need to order, if you want.  I am not on my home comp but I could get it later if you want.

Brass for accurate handloads yes, for most rifle cases yes.  Hand guns could use plastic, and so could rifle cases with low pressure.  A person could always try it!  A blowback 9mm could easily and safely be tried.

Yes, when I did the name, I did/do like the whisper series.  Ubber cool, the best suppressed cartridge for AR/M16 series.  I don't have one, heck I am still working on getting an AR.  But I am young and hopefully it won't take long, and shooting will still be an available sport by the time when I get the money.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#5]
If my memory is correct, plastic cased pistol rounds came out about the same time as those aluminum "throw away" cases. The aluminum stayed and the plastic went away. The aim was for cheap plinking ammo.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top