Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/5/2003 6:15:43 PM EDT
While sitting around a friends house I noticed some of his "goto" mags placed near the front door. When I looked at the first round "up", I noticed the bullet was missing about a 1/4" off the tip . It had been ground off. (???) My friend  then explained how he had sanded of the tipps of M193 to make a (quote) "solid core wad cutter". He feels that the bullet will now expand  and fragment  in soft targets faster with out the worries of over penetration. IMO he lost about 10 grains of bullet and several brain cells somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#1]
nope, I've never heard of it before, but I certainly agree with you about his condition.  M193 doesn't have overpenetration issues and it fragments quite happily the way it comes.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Its probably a great way to compromise reliable feeding and accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:42:30 AM EDT
[#3]
IMO he lost about 10 grains of bullet and several brain cells somewhere.
View Quote

[rofl]

Tell your friend to buy a box of soft points,
and save the sandpaper for sharpening his
"Rambo" knife [;D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:40:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Tell him they may do even better if he can cut a small "x" into the flat point of his bullets...that ought'a keep him occupied a while!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:44:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Tell your buddy he's putting himself in the position to get himself and his family killed.

M193 is a boat tail with exposed lead.

If he's removed too much jacket material, what will happen is that combustion gasses will blow the lead right through the jacket and out of the bbl; however, the jacket might remain in the bore.  The next shot will produce a kaboom of serious magnitude.

What a maroon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Gonzo beat me to it. A soft point bullet has a jacket that covers the bottom. Cutting off the nose of a M-193 bullet gives you a lead slug in a gilding metal cylinder. When I worked at the old Hercules, Inc, we had a R&D test fixture for a gov't contract that fed ammo in from a side port (rounds had to be no longer than the port length). One round was a bit too long so the nose was filed off to fit since the fixture was being cycle tested, not velocity/pressure tested. When fired, the lead core went down range and the jacket "cylinder" only went part way into the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What a maroon.
View Quote

If you're going to call people names, you might want to consult the dictionary before posting.[:D]

Maroon, is a color.

Moron, is a dummy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a maroon.
View Quote

If you're going to call people names, you might want to consult the dictionary before posting.[:D]

Maroon, is a color.

Moron, is a dummy.
View Quote

you've never heard someone call someone else a maroon? :D where have you been the last 50 yrs :D
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Tell said "expert" that if he wants fragmenting ammo with low chances of penetration to get himself some of the Hornady TAP or the Hornady Varmint Express ammo that makes use of the Vmax bullet.    It will be frangible to the degree that it is downright explosive and have minimal chances of over penetration, if that's his concern.

What others mentioned about lead cores going downrange while leaving their jackets in the bore, it is true.   I've seen a barrel from a 44Magnum that had shed it's jacket and completely plugged the bore during subsequent shots, the bullets were older jacketed open base/open tip bullets.

Also, AR15s can be very picky if they have flat spots on the front of the bullet.   Some AR15s can't cycle the 52grn Speer hollow point or even lead tipped spire point rounds due to the rounds just barely catching on the corner of the feed ramps of the barrel extension.    Best to use something with a nice pointy nose, much improved feeding.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a maroon.
View Quote

Maroon, is a color.

Moron, is a dummy.
View Quote
[Bugs Bunny voice]Eh, what a maroon![/Bugs Bunny voice]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, yeah, the bugs bunny connotation was intended with "maroon."

My daughter has these cute Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck dolls that "talk to" each other.  As long as they're in the same room, they banter back and forth.

Bugs says "what a maroon" so many times, I assumed everyone would get the reference.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I have to agree about the Hornady Vmax bullet.If you want 100% energy transfer and no over penetration it is the ticket.
Raymond
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top