Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2003 5:53:31 AM EDT
has anyone used any of the silver bear ammo and if so what do you think of it? (sp & hp)
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 6:26:23 AM EDT
[#1]
It works better in all guns I have shot than Wolf does, but remember that Wolf is about the lowest grade of Russian ammo.

I have had good luck with Silver Bear in .223 just for blasting into a hillside, 7.62 X 39, and .30-06
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Anybody use "Brown Bear" 7.62x39?  123gr FMJ.

I got 500rds for $40.

Lots of Russian markings, but looks good.

Wolf has been jamming about 1/100 in two of my AKs.

Link Posted: 4/29/2003 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Brown Bear is made by a conglomerate of Russian companies.  Where does yours say it was made?

If it says JSC Barnaul Machine and Tool, you have first rate ammo.  

We will be finishing the 7.62 X 39 ammo testing Thursday, (check in over on the AK side early next week) but initial results show that Barnaul is very good, and that Wolf groups like my shotgun.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Yes it does say SC Barnaul!

Now I feel really good about my mystery purchase!

Link Posted: 4/29/2003 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#5]
In our initial round of testing it was in the top 3 for accuracy. In pulling the bullet and measuring weight, diameter, and powder consistancy, it was very good.  I'll dig up the link to where I posted te results.

The only Wolf that shot well was the 154 grain soft point.

We will be doing final test on

Remington, Winchester, Federal, Wolf FMJ, Wolf HP, Wolf SP, Barnaul FMJ, Barnaul HP, Barnaul SP, Silver Bear Match (Barnaul), East German, South African, Cheetah (Zimbabwe), China, S&B, IMI, Lapua, Klimovsk, and a few others I can't think of right off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I was looking at getting some of the silver bear 9mm because it was hollowpoint and cheaper than dirt.  Anyone have any experience with their non-rifle line?
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:39:27 AM EDT
[#7]
how about the .223 does it have the same super glue effect on AR-15s?
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:29:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone found ballistic info for this stuff ? I'm curious how it's loaded. Seems like decent enough ammo for plinking, especially since it doesn't have the lacquer coating like the Wolf does...
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Whomever emailed me about the ammo... thanks for the info.  I tried to reply to you via email but it kept getting returned.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was looking at getting some of the silver bear 9mm because it was hollowpoint and cheaper than dirt.  Anyone have any experience with their non-rifle line?
View Quote

I shot a couple of boxes of Silver Bear 9x18 in my Makarov...worked pretty good, although one of the 2 mags that came with the gun wouldn't feed it properly.  The hollow tip was just enough wider than the FMJ that it got hung up.  Other mag handled the stuff fine, though, so I think it was just the problem with the mag.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 3:49:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In our initial round of testing it was in the top 3 for accuracy. In pulling the bullet and measuring weight, diameter, and powder consistancy, it was very good.  I'll dig up the link to where I posted te results.

Remington, Winchester, Federal, Wolf FMJ, Wolf HP, Wolf SP, Barnaul FMJ, Barnaul HP, Barnaul SP, Silver Bear Match (Barnaul), East German, South African, Cheetah (Zimbabwe), China, S&B, IMI, Lapua, Klimovsk, and a few others I can't think of right off the top of my head.
View Quote

When are the tests gonna be done.  I'm waiting...
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:20:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I will let you know, I just ordered 200 of their .223, and will try it out for function and accuracy in a non-chome Fulton. If it runs there it will run in any of my ARs, and that will give me real accuracy numbers, too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:04:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I've gone through about a half a case of 9mm HP and 7.62X39 HP without a hitch one.  I like it so much I will actually seek it out. It is far better than Wolf. I would have more but I'm a bit over stocked on Wolf 7.62X39 and Winchester 9mm right now.

It appears to shoot a little not alot cleaner and the powder appears to be a bit faster for a crisper shot.  

I find both the 9mm and 7.62X39 excellent range ammo and cheap enough to be excellent for plinking.

I haven't tried the .223 but will given the chance. I tend to lean Russian for Russian and US/Nato to US/Nato.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:41:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I've gone through almost 500 rounds of .223 Silver Bear and have not had a problem yet in any of my AR's (and Saiga).  (Of course, I didn't have a problem with the Wolf ammo, either.) But, I thought I would try this stuff out since it was zinc-plated, as opposed to being laquer-coated. I now have another 500 rounds to shoot up and plan on using more of this ammo exclusively for plinking and general use!  
I did not see much difference, in terms of "dirtiness" between it and my reloads.  
Plus, I think it looks kinda cool how the silver cartridges stand out from all of the other laquer-coated cartridges out on the range grounds.  (BTW, yes, I do pick them up after I'm done shooting.  No sense leaving a mess for the next guy [which might give a bad impression about AR users] or having the range closed down due to a disregard for cleanliness.)
I think I'll order me another 500 rounds, now that I'm thinking about it!  Yeah!
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I really like Silver Bear ammo. I just dont now where to find it anymore.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I really like Silver Bear ammo. I just dont now where to find it anymore.
View Quote

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/_223.html

$59.95/500.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

When are the tests gonna be done.  I'm waiting...
View Quote

They will be posted by the end of the week. (In the Ak GD area)
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I returned my faulty Olympic SS109 and exchanged them for 10 boxes of Silver Bear .223 62gr HP.  I hope they work for me!  I'll let you all know after I go to the range this Tuesday.  Looks pretty good.  I hope it doesn't super glue my gun!!!  Wish me luck.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top