BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/4/2003 12:07:30 PM EDT
I just noticed that Olympic has a Banner ad here now. And I remember reading a post about possible improvements to their quality. Anyone know whats up?
Link Posted: 2/5/2003 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#1]

So many of us have been burned by this junk ammo…I can’t believe they would think we would forget about that and trust them again…Not me, after the nightmare I went through with it….I will never trust them again….I’m sticking with only American made .223.

Tim

Link Posted: 2/5/2003 8:32:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Please note a few things.

First of all, us moderators in the ammo forum have virtually NOTHING to say about who becomes an advertiser.

Secondly, I have not heard any recent reports on NEW production ammo being faulty.  I've heard plenty about the older stuff.  It's possible that they cleaned up their act.  Let's wait and see...
Link Posted: 2/5/2003 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/5/2003 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#4]
That's GOOD news!

We can always use another ammo vendor.

I started using their 9mm 124gr stuff, $99/1000 rounds was a good deal for NATO spec 9mm, and my Glocks LOVED the stuff.

Then, I got some 115gr 9mm, because my dealer was out of the 124gr.  My Glocks CHOKED on it.  hard primers.  1 out of 25 was a light strike.  No problem in the beretta's or CZ... but the striker fired Glocks would not punch though.

Then I read about their M193 and SS109 woes.... and quit buying Olympic altogether.  

Now.... with their approach to get on board with us, and fix the problems.... I just might start buying this stuff up again!  But I had better hear good things.
Link Posted: 2/5/2003 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Where'd you get your 124gr stuff, FALARAK?
Link Posted: 2/5/2003 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Sportmansguide.com

[url]http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/smg/ad/ad.asp?p=WX1&i=55607[/url]

They say it is in stock.... I have just been "gunshy" to reorder with all the trouble they have had in the past with other ammo.  I have not heard of anyone having trouble with their 9mm 124gr stuff yet.
Link Posted: 2/5/2003 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, this certainly sounds positive to me. Even though this company may have had a bit of a shaky start, I am willing to give their product a try if they are willing to get it right. In fact, the way things are going, this may be one of the few if not only suppliers of this type of ammo in the future. That being said I hope they can produce a quality cartridge and become a steady force in the industry. The more choices we have, the better off we'll all be.

Now, moving on to something of a more technical nature....what can you folks tell me about Olympic ammo? I am most interested in the 5.56mm M193 and SS109 loads, as well as the 124 gr NATO 9mm loads. Is this stuff actual military quality ammo or is it a whole other thing? What are the velocities? Is it sealed? And can it be expected to perform like other mil-spec loads such as US M193/M855 and the IMI versions? If so, I would be interested in it. Anyone ever chrono this stuff or have other data? Thanks.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 2/6/2003 12:22:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought 1K rounds of the 124gr stuff back when ammoman.com was selling it.  Compared to the 115gr Winchester white box stuff, it seems kinda weak.  I shot both thru my 9mm AR15, and the recoil was DRAMATICALLY lower than with the 115gr stuff.  I don't have a chrono, so I can't actually test the speed.  Maybe someone out there with one can chrono both kinds out of a 16" AR?
Link Posted: 2/6/2003 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#9]
With the potential for SA battlepacks disappearing from the market, I'll be looking for inexpensive plinking ammo that is still M193 spec.

Is the Olympic ammo M193 spec?

Though, unfortunately I just looked at the prices for M855 spec Olympic at Sportsmansguide and it's around $220 per case of 1,000.  Anyone know what their M193 goes for per case?
Link Posted: 2/6/2003 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
 Anyone know what their M193 goes for per case?
View Quote

[url]www.dansammo.com/ammo.asp[/url] has it for $150/1000 delivered
Link Posted: 2/6/2003 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Try www.wideners.com - $9/box of 50 M193 -prepaid shipping
Link Posted: 2/6/2003 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Despite the 'warnings', i just went through 700 rounds of Olympic SS109 with only ONE FTE.  ONE... thats it.  Otherwise, the stuff seems to work fine.  I'm using the Bosnian "Hot Shot" now, which also works extremely well.

My opinion is that the Olympic may have had some problems, but so far in my Eagle Arms it has worked flawlessly.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2003 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd be happy to try out 1,000 rounds.  Have them send me the ammo and I can evaluate including using a chronograph.
Link Posted: 2/9/2003 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Olympic has acknowledged reports of problems from members of this board and elsewhere.  They have/had a quality control problem, and they know it.  They also want to fix it.

Given that this board represents their largest customer base, and because it has a great deal of technical expertise available, Olympic Ammo has joined AR15.com as an Industry Partner.  As part of this, they will have their own forum here that they will be staffing to answer questions, take problem reports, and so on.  You will soon have direct access to the company's representative, just like you have with many of the other companies.

I have no problems with the QC issues with Olympic's ammo being discussed here.  The problem exists, and they know it.  Fortunately for all of us, they are working to fix it, and to make things right for those who ended up with bad ammo.  It's the best possible outcome, right?

Anyway, I'm going to tack THIS post up for a week or two so everyone knows what's going on.

-Troy
View Quote

But what about Olympic Arms? Can we get a forum for them?

[:D]

Scott

Link Posted: 2/10/2003 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Olympic has acknowledged reports of problems from members of this board and elsewhere.  They have/had a quality control problem, and they know it.  They also want to fix it.

Given that this board represents their largest customer base, and because it has a great deal of technical expertise available, Olympic Ammo has joined AR15.com as an Industry Partner.  As part of this, they will have their own forum here that they will be staffing to answer questions, take problem reports, and so on.  You will soon have direct access to the company's representative, just like you have with many of the other companies.

I have no problems with the QC issues with Olympic's ammo being discussed here.  The problem exists, and they know it.  Fortunately for all of us, they are working to fix it, and to make things right for those who ended up with bad ammo.  It's the best possible outcome, right?

View Quote

It creates the appearance that AR15.com will accept cash from anyone, even those known to produce a substandard product. There has also been the appearance that critism of industry partners products, or customer service, is often censored on this site. A protection never afforded to non-industry partners like Rguns, Botach, ect.

Link Posted: 2/10/2003 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/10/2003 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
"Olympic has turned out some faulty product, as have many manufacturers from time to time. But they have gotten the word to me that they will be working to resolve these issues at their source, as well as working with folks who ended up with out-of-spec ammo. So far, that sounds pretty promising. Hopefully, they'll see it through".

Troy,

You have seen my past posts regarding this subject so you know that I am one of the individuals that has been burned buy this ammo…I have heard nothing from Olympic to correct this problem with me…If you have anyway that I can contact Olympic please let me/us know….  Again, I haven’t heard a word from Olympic not even as much as an apology in selling substandard ammo… Don’t you think they should First correct the errors and damages they created before we try supporting them.

Thanks,

Tim
Link Posted: 2/11/2003 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I purchased 1000 rds of Olympic 9mm 124 FMJ from Wideners for $120 shipped.I would have bought Winchester but they were out.While I had no Failure to Fires,I had ALOT of misfeeds.Gun used was Glock 26 fired about 250 rds.In retrospect I dont think I will be purchasing any more of this stuff. Anybody wanna buy 700 rds or so?
Link Posted: 2/12/2003 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I have about 300 rounds of the Olympic 124gr FMJ through my CZ 75B and not a single misfire, stovepipe, etc. It's functioned 100% in my case.

To me, it's a good thing they are an industry partner. If they didn't give a sh*t, it's unlikely they would be interested in that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2003 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I have not shot the Olympic 5.56 but I have shot 1000 rounds of the 9mm 124gr. NATO ammo that Sportsmans Guide sells and I liked it. I did not have ANY problems of ANY kind and best of all its was very accurite out of my Beretta 92FS. With my Sportsmans Guide discount I can get it for $94.99 or less if Ive got any good coupon codes. I think its much better ammo then either Wolf or Blazer wich both feed flawlessly in the Beretta also.

BKVic
Link Posted: 2/13/2003 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Not knowing any better I bought 1000 rds. of the 9mm 124 gr ammo last year.  It works fine in a Vector UZI, not problems whatsoever.  Now I will wait a bit before trying the .223 in my M16A1, with what I have read here!
Link Posted: 2/13/2003 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#22]

So it is totaly clear...My problem with the Olympic ammo was with the Olympic SS109 .223. I believe that this is the same ammo everyone else was complaining about as well...

I haven't heard of anyone having any problems with any other ammo made by Olympic which includes their 9mm.

I still would not buy any ammo from Olympic due to their unwillingness to correct this problem with my .223.   I can not trust their other ammo calibers because of the way they have handled this problem.  If they had good customer service and would resolve the problems with the .223 then I would say great their stand up people and they stand behind their product..  Instead what I have seen (in my case) is they ignore the problem and hope it go's away...

I have worked in Law enforcement and security my entire life. Five years ago I broke my back on the job...I support my family on my disability income and my wife’s job. I don't have 200+ dollars to spend on ammo, which I had to throw away because I could not trust it and could not return it.  What I’m trying to say here is “once burned twice shy”  I will stick with the LC ammo it has never let me down..

Thanks,

Tim
Link Posted: 2/14/2003 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought a case of the 9mm 124gr also, it's so cheap, why reload?  It has shot fine in my Colt 1911, and in my Kel-Tec P11.  In the little Keltec it chroned at 1100fps, pretty fast for 124gr in a 3.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 2/17/2003 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Just fired off another 150 rds thru my Glock 26 only 1 misfeed this time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Turnkey, how much you want for 500 rds of that 9mm.  I'll give you a fair price.
Link Posted: 2/28/2003 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Bought  1000 rounds of M193 Olympic a while back and no problems with it.  Little more than half gone and going to get more.
Link Posted: 3/1/2003 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#27]
What is the problems "Olympic" cartridges are having? I 've shot about 50 rounds of the stuff and didn't have any problems.

What happened? Is it a certain "LOT"?

I think they could have done better painting the tips though!
Link Posted: 3/3/2003 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Given that this board represents their largest customer base, and because it has a great deal of technical expertise available, Olympic Ammo has joined AR15.com as an Industry Partner.  As part of this, they will have their own forum here that they will be staffing to answer questions, take problem reports, and so on.  
View Quote

If I were one of their reps I would run a special to the members of AR-15. If Olympic did make improvements and wanted to get the word out, this would be one way of doing it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2003 1:11:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Does the problems being discussed include the
Olympic SS109 M855 62 gr FMJ green tip ammo?

What were/are the problems exactly?

When did they supposedly correct the problem(s)?

Where I buy my SA 300 rd brown battlepacks ($43)
now  has 1,000 rd ($199) cases of the above Olympic ammo.

Thanks
Chris

Link Posted: 3/8/2003 3:26:09 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm reading messages from end users that a ammunition manufacturer has had Q.A/Q.C. problems but, where is the response from Olympic.

Is this a life safety issue? Should the ammo be recalled? What lots are affected? How will those who own the suspect ammunition be compensated? Why doesn't Olympic address the concerns of it's customers?

I think that the time has come to get answers to these and other questions.
Link Posted: 3/11/2003 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#31]
AR-ready2go,

You are absolutely right…..

I have been battling this problem on this ammo for months with no reply from Olympic and no help from anyone at AR15.com.  Ammoman said he would refund my purchase but I would have to reship the ammo back to him.  Being on disability from injuries suffered on the job, I could not afford to do this...  My ammo ended up in the garbage since I couldn’t get any resolution to this problem, and the ammo being unsafe to shoot...

No one involved with this ammo is welling to be accountable they just want the profit..

Tim
Link Posted: 3/11/2003 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm unsure as to exactly what the problem is with the ammunition. I have fired quite a bit of the 124 gr. 9mm without any problems whatsoever.

I'm not prepared to get rid of my current stock of .223 (or anything else) until additional information is presented to us from Olympic. I haven't read anything about excessive pressures, squib loads, etc.

How about somebody providing us with the email address for the U.S. contact for Olympic? Before the company totally ruins any good reputation it may have had, a represenative from Olympic  should at least let us know what the story is.

Until questions are answered, the ammo can just sit there collecting dust.
Link Posted: 3/13/2003 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I just fired Olympic 223 for the first time.  My new bushmaster jammed reapeatedly.  If they are going to address this I hope it's soon as I have 952 rounds of unusable ammo.
Link Posted: 3/13/2003 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Given that this board represents their largest customer base, and because it has a great deal of technical expertise available, Olympic Ammo has joined AR15.com as an Industry Partner. As part of this, they will have their own forum here that they will be staffing to answer questions, take problem reports, and so on. You will soon have direct access to the company's representative, just like you have with many of the other companies.______________________________________

Ok, Troy when is this all suppose to happen????  You said “You will soon have direct access to the company's representative”.  I was just wondering what you meant by soon?   Or have they fooled you to?

I don’t mean to be a pain but this ammo was meant to be my SHTF ammo for the protection of my family.  (An obligation we can all relate to).  I would really like to replace it..

Thanks,

Tim
Link Posted: 3/14/2003 5:39:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I just fired Olympic 223 for the first time.  My new bushmaster jammed reapeatedly.  If they are going to address this I hope it's soon as I have 952 rounds of unusable ammo.
View Quote

I've fired over 500 rounds of Olympic in my Bushmaster and not one problem of any kind.  When I first got my Bushmaster it also had a bad jamming problem and short stroke problem.  After everything that I tried failed to solve it, it went back to Bushmaster.  Now it never misses a lick, wheather its Wolf, South Africian or Olympic ammo.  It shoots flawlessly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2003 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#36]
[I've fired over 500 rounds of Olympic in my Bushmaster and not one problem of any kind.  When I first got my Bushmaster it also had a bad jamming problem and short stroke problem.  After everything that I tried failed to solve it, it went back to Bushmaster.  Now it never misses a lick, wheather its Wolf, South Africian or Olympic ammo.  It shoots flawlessly.[/quote]

Good point. The only ammo that has given me problems so far has been a box of Remington hunting loads - not enough power to cycle the action. So folks, what besides (or combined with) the ammo could contribute to the cycling problems.
Link Posted: 3/14/2003 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thanks
Chris

View Quote
Do you buy at shooters supply?> Known James for a while, and have given him a lot of business (lol). Stick with the SA battlepacks or winchester white box m193. They had 1k rounds of that for 189.99 I believe a few months ago. I have never had a problem with SA ammo other than some inconsistency in the accuracy dept. It went bang every time though, and did not jam. Buy the SA stuff while you still can.
Link Posted: 3/14/2003 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Chris

View Quote
Do you buy at shooters supply?> Known James for a while, and have given him a lot of business (lol). Stick with the SA battlepacks or winchester white box m193. They had 1k rounds of that for 189.99 I believe a few months ago. I have never had a problem with SA ammo other than some inconsistency in the accuracy dept. It went bang every time though, and did not jam. Buy the SA stuff while you still can.
View Quote

Yep, Shooters's Supply. I've been buying the SA 300 rd brown battlepacks from them for $43 and occassionally $39 when they have it on sale. I have not seen the Winchester White Box in 1,000 rd quantities there. They are currently selling some Olympic SS109 62 gr FMJ green tip 1,000 rds for $199.
According to Shooter's Supply, they have no problem getting all the SA they can sell.
Nice store, I almost pulled out the credit card the other day for a Beretta 92FS. [:D]
Link Posted: 3/15/2003 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#39]
FREAKING JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i just wasted 20.00 on 2
50 round boxes
i willtoss the second box
the wolf i know wolf worked
much better

connor

www.blondidog.com
Link Posted: 3/19/2003 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#40]
I bought a box just to check out. Compared about 10 rounds to one another and it seems that they arent sizing their case necks or something is messed up, about 6 out of the 10 cartridges had a noticable bulge about halfway up the neck. That could cause higher pressures and the primer blow out problems as well as extraction problems. When I get a chance I'll see how easily it chambers, but as of right now Im kinda leary about shooting any that have the bulge.
Link Posted: 3/21/2003 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I bought a box just to check out. Compared about 10 rounds to one another and it seems that they arent sizing their case necks or something is messed up, about 6 out of the 10 cartridges had a noticable bulge about halfway up the neck. That could cause higher pressures and the primer blow out problems as well as extraction problems. When I get a chance I'll see how easily it chambers, but as of right now Im kinda leary about shooting any that have the bulge.
View Quote
I have some 124 gr. 9mm ammo, and haven't seen anything out of spec on the cases, (I haven't gone through all of them, but i will be sure to look every round over before i stuff it in mags). Are you talking about the 62 grain 5.56 with the ss-109 bullet that people have been having trouble with?
Link Posted: 3/21/2003 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Im talking about M193 .223 ammo. I havent seen any problems reported with their other calibers, its probably a deal with their 223 cases. Thats my speculation based on what Ive seen anyway.
Link Posted: 3/22/2003 11:07:26 PM EDT
[#43]
I just shot 100 rounds of Olympic M193 5.56mm ammo lot numbers are unknown but the stamp on the case is 01.  I shot these in a Sterling AR180 18.25 inch barrel.  The average velocity was 3198fps for five shots, measured 15 feet from the muzzle, temp. was 55 degrees, 5600 feet elevation, 60% relative humidity, no wind.  I was not able to do any accuracy measurements.  The ammo fired and fed perfectly, and there was less residue than from the WW lot#SE42 M193 control I was using.  The cases looked perfect after extracted, with no sign of excessive pressure.  The WW was also slower at 3065FPS for five shots.  I was very pleased with this ammo and will buy more.
Link Posted: 3/23/2003 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#44]
I have from several people that are in the know that it is largely Olympic's case supplier.  The cases are all different lengths and various other things having to do with case heads.  People that have bought cases from the same company that supplies Olympic, have had bad experiences with the cases.  I would also imagine that their powder/primer supply should be looked at because variations between lots or incorrect chemistry would have significant effects on performance.  I have use their 124gr. 9mm and my Ruger and Beretta like it just fine.  Not had a malfunction yet.  Only shot about 500rds though.  Good luck but I suggest that you stay away from any of their .223/5.56 ammos.
Link Posted: 3/31/2003 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I bought 1500 rounds of the SS109 green tip stuff about five months ago. Out of the 60 rounds I shot I had one misfire where the primer popped but didn't ignite the powder inside.

The rifle was a Mini-14 not know for light primer hits. The primer sent smoke into the action which sort of leads me to belive that the hole between the primer and the powder wasn't drilled.

No big deal to me - just plinking ammo. I would only use name brand stuff for social situations. Now that my AR's have arrived I'll have to run them though them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Been through 1000 of the 62 green tip and not a single problem.  Funny thread here, 99% of those  who actually tried it like it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2003 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#47]
I actually tried it and it was not good! Got 200 rounds, all fit case gauge ok. Shot 60 rounds-all one at a time. Not enough power to cycle the action enough to strip a round from mag. Gave up when arm got tired from pulling handle and clearing the jambs. Tried Q3131A- viola! this is great, no problems. Olympic is rather underloaded I think. JMHO.
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Once again, my thanks to forum members for this info. I was going to buy some Olympic ammo and thought I would check here first. Ill buy S&B instead.
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Glad i read this before ordering. Sportsmansguide has this stuff for $139 for 1000 rounds. I'll save my money and buy LC.
R2K
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#50]
I recently bought 400 rounds of Olympic ss109. I've shot half of it with no problems. I like the stuff and the price is right. If you don't like it don't buy it. This board has been emense help to myself and other newbies. I wish every product out there was advertised here. thats what makes this forum so great, The wealth of information. ( The Good and the Bad.)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top