Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2003 6:09:57 PM EDT
I've just got my first AR and about the only inexpensive ammo I can find locally comes in 55 grain.  This is my first small caliber rifle.

My question is, if I needed to use it for protection how effective is a 55 grain soft point or FMJ on an individual? Do hollow points fragment to quickly?  I know it all depends on where you place the shot but assuming you don't get the perfect shot.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Read and learn. This will answer all your ammo questions.

[url]www.ammo-oracle.com[/url]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]www.ammo-oracle.com[/url]
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Third times the charm...
http://www.ammo-oracle.com

I would be in the dark if I had never read what's on that page!  Don't stop there either.  The net is full of great bundles of info on ammunition, but ammo oracle is prolly the best place to start.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#4]
M193 is cheap and reliable. Not really sure what yoru criteria are, but that meets my two big ones.....

Scott

[:D]

Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
If the dead could talk, there'd be plenty of Vietnamese, Grenadians, Panamanians, Iraquis, etc. that could vouch that they are, in fact deadly,
I can attest, from hands on experience, in the latter two cases, that the .55 gn works fine. You are correct that shot placement is paramount,  I have no real experience with hollowpoints, but the standard Military load fragments quite nicely.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#6]
SC,
What range you shoot at?  I figure I don't want to be there when you experiment on the difference on humans. [bannana]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top