Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2003 2:23:38 AM EDT
Ok - my check is in the mail to get the search function turned on...  but I just sent it yesterday.

Anyone know what the velocity is on the 50 gr HP american eagle that eric is selling?

223 FEDERAL 50gr HOLLOW POINT
http://www.ammoman.com/images/223-hollow-pt.jpg

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I choronographed them out of my 26 inch Remington VS at about 3350 feet/sec if I remember correctly. These bullets are highly accurate and extremely effective on coyotes, I don't even bother reloading or shooting anything else, because they work so well. They probably won't be a good bullet for priarie dogs at 500 yards, but up to 250 yards or so they shoot very well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys.  i'll expect 2900 +/- out of my 16"
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#4]
It is a nice accurate round, used to be wickedly accurate from my accurized AR15.

Somewhere along the line though it turned from being my favorite ammo to use to my least favorite ammo to use.    2-3 years ago it seemed that I couldn't find reliable Federal ammo to save my life.    3 AR15s and an AR10 all suddenly started hating the stuff, from American Eagle all the way up to Federal Gold Medal.   Stuff wouldn't stop spitting out it's primers on me, left and right it would do it.

Ofcourse the bolt action shooters don't have to worry about that sort of thing.    It seems pretty isolated to the AR15 crowd, something about the action lock time and design because Mini-14 and M1A shooters don't seem to have the same problems.    Knights Armament even states that they don't trust Federal Gold Medal, according to the SR25 crowd on Biggerhammer forums atleast.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top