Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/2/2003 1:44:02 PM EDT
Are all of you noticing that ammo supply is drying up? SA Battlepacks
are non-existant and Cheaperthandirt is now out of Q3131A. What gives? Is
anyone hearing any rumors. Is it time to start buying while the buying is good?
Anyidea if more ammo is sitting on the docks awaiting distribution?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#1]
... I got boatloads of [b]Wolf[/b] ammo and it's getting cheaper each day.

... Before the [b]Wolf[/b] bashers flame me for it, I must say that every one of my weapons that are chambered for 5.56 NATO digests it [u]JUST FINE[/u]. No failures, no gunk that's not cleaned away at the end of the day and accurate within reason.

... I keep a nice stash of Q3131A on hand but wouldn't hesitate one minute to delve into a SHTF scenario with my trusty [b]Wolf[/b].

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I dunno about "drying up" but I suspect that mil surplus is going to get harder, not easier to come by.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
... I got boatloads of [b]Wolf[/b] ammo and it's getting cheaper each day.

... Before the [b]Wolf[/b] bashers flame me for it, I must say that every one of my weapons that are chambered for 5.56 NATO digests it [u]JUST FINE[/u]. No failures, no gunk that's not cleaned away at the end of the day and accurate within reason.

... I keep a nice stash of Q3131A on hand but wouldn't hesitate one minute to delve into a SHTF scenario with my trusty [b]Wolf[/b].
View Quote

Wow.  I hope you don't plan to use it for self defense.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Who knows what the future will bring .
I MIGHT hit the lottery But I don't count it .
Expect the worst and you won't be dissapointed .

If you are worried and have extra mula than now is the time for you to stock up .

If nothin happens than you have a good excuse to go target shootin .

I am always lookin for good ammo deals .
Where is the best deal on .45 acp and 9mm ??
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#5]
It did seem like USGI dried up before Afghanistan, I haven't noticed any problems so far.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#6]
"Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..."

F. Franklin  1968
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
... wouldn't hesitate one minute to delve into a SHTF scenario with my trusty [b]Wolf[/b].
View Quote

View Quote

... True that it's not my defensive load but I can't understand why so many bash it. When I go plinking I'll often run through 1000 rounds in a day. Wolf works great in these applications.

... Now if for some reason I was down to my last case and it happened to "only" be Wolf I'm sure it would do in a pinch. No?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
... Now if for some reason I was down to my last case and it happened to "only" be Wolf I'm sure it would do in a pinch. No?
View Quote

If it's all you had, I guess you'd shoot it. Beats a pointed stick.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
... wouldn't hesitate one minute to delve into a SHTF scenario with my trusty [b]Wolf[/b].
View Quote

View Quote

... True that it's not my defensive load but I can't understand why so many bash it. When I go plinking I'll often run through 1000 rounds in a day. Wolf works great in these applications.

View Quote

Wolf wouldn't be my first choice for defense but I wouldn't think twice about using it if necessary.  Out of the thousands of rounds I've shot, I've had only 1 dud round and zero jams.  Of course with my luck the second dud would be the one I really really needed to go BANG!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:56:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wolf wouldn't be my first choice for defense but I wouldn't think twice about using it if necessary.  Out of the thousands of rounds I've shot, I've had only 1 dud round and zero jams.  Of course with my luck the second dud would be the one I really really needed to go BANG!
View Quote

... Yes, most likely it is statistically on par with any other manufacturers ammo for squib loads. Damn, I gotta get to the range!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Went to gun shop today They had 7,000 rounds of Q3131A so evidently no problem. Had just gotten in. Bought another 1,000
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#13]
55 grn is easy to find.
M855 (62grn steel core) is scarce, and it's the load I prefer.
While I was in the USMC, i never shot a single round of xm193. Is it used by the army for training?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 2:31:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
55 grn is easy to find.
While I was in the USMC, i never shot a single round of xm193. Is it used by the army for training?
View Quote

Actually, the M193 ammo used to be the standard issue combat round for all services when the M16A1 rifle was in service. This rifle has a 1 in 12 twist barrel. Later when FN developed the M249 SAW, they increased the twist to 1 in 7 and developed the newer SS109 round for better penetration at longer ranges. Sometime during the early to mid 1980's they decided to change twists on the M-16's and so all the M-16A2's and newer variants use the 1 in 7 twist rate and fire the M855 cartridge. The slower 1 in 12 twist was not sufficient to stabilize the longer SS109 bullet. So M193 remained in production for units still using the older A1 rifles. BTW, many M-16A1's remain in service with national guard units today.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
55 grn is easy to find.
View Quote

Actually, the M193 ammo used to be the standard issue combat round for all services when the M16A1 rifle was in service. This rifle has a 1 in 12 twist barrel. Later when FN developed the M249 SAW, they increased the twist to 1 in 7 and developed the newer SS109 round for better penetration at longer ranges. Sometime during the early to mid 1980's they decided to change twists on the M-16's and so all the M-16A2's and newer variants use the 1 in 7 twist rate and fire the M855 cartridge. The slower 1 in 12 twist was not sufficient to stabilize the longer SS109 bullet. So M193 remained in production for units still using the older A1 rifles. BTW, many M-16A1's remain in service with national guard units today.

-Charging Handle
View Quote

The green tip on M855 is used to indicate "emergency use only" for M855 in M16A1s and other slow twist firearms. M855 is okay out to abotu 90 yards or so from 1/12 rifling, IIRC.

Troy,

That was funny as hell..... [:D]

Scott
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't know if this is a permenant or temporary supply issue but have over the years found it fluctuates.  Sometimes you just can't find surplus and then you swim in it.  

I prefer the 5.56mm 62 grain or 63 but don't have an issue with shooting the .223 55 grain which seems to always be around for a good price.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top