Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2002 4:28:22 PM EDT
i went to the ft worth gunshow yesterday
(12-29) i wanted to buy some ammo. but there was not one vendor selling new ammo.
there was one vendor that was selling bullets and brass cases, plus he was selling his reloads. says he sells all over the U.S.,his company name was Dallas reloading.
anyway i bought a 100 pack to test out, .14 a round, if you bought 1000 it was .12 a round.
any way does anyone else shoot reloads that they didnt reload.
what is your opinoin?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:44:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I have reloaded for over 23 years.  Too many variables.

Personally, I wouldn't.  My face isn't that pretty to beging with.  I'd hate to have to pull rifle parts off of my face or ruin a good rifle.

He might reload the best ammo in the world.  But...it's a gamble.  It's up to you.

Rambosky
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:58:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't seem to remember hearing good things about Dallas Reloading.

Hopefully others will know for sure.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:11:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I won't shoot anyone else's reloads.  My face ain't all that great either!!  A buddy of mine bought some here in SA at the show.  The charge seemed inconsistent- judging by the noise(what I heard) and the recoil(what he said he felt).  He shot maybe 20 of them and shit canned the rest.  This was over a year ago- I'll check with him to see if he remembers the manuf.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Reloads are the almost exclusive cause of damaged or destroyed AR15 rifles.  Other than plugging your barrel with mud or leaving the cleaning rod in the bore.....

Even assuming they're loaded to provide the right port pressure for the gas system to operate properly the potential for squib loads or high soft primers in improperly resized cases remains high.  (Not to mention using the wrong powder!)  

In the first case a bullet may remain in the bore after a "misfire."  Improper immediate action will put another live round in the chamber and send the second bullet up the butt of the first one.  

In the second case the primer can detonate from pressure of the face of the bolt before the bolt is locked shut.  

Both cases are way too common with reloaded 5.56mm ammo.

Good South African ammo remains an 11 cent item and Wolf is even cheaper.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:50:01 AM EDT
[#5]
At my range they sell reloads in the most common hand gun calibers. I often get them for my .357.  I think they are loaded by Precision Cartridge of something. I never had a problem with them. Maybe its different with hand gun ammo.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:51:08 AM EDT
[#6]
It's different with [i]reliable manufacturers[/i].  I don't trust the typical "gun show reloads" for the most part.  And frankly see no need to even try them in 5.56mm.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#7]
If it ain't Black hills Re-man,I'll pass and tell friends and family to do the same.

For the difference in initial cost vs. the trip to the ER,replacing the rifle,explaining the scabs on the face etc...

it's cheaper to purchase the good stuff from the RSA,and LC.

Good luck to ya!
S-28
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought "remanufactured" ammo was indeed factory ammo but with once fired brass and "reloaded" ammo was just that, reloaded by an individual.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I've shot 3000+ rounds of .223 SP from Dallas Reloaders and have had no problems. I,ve also gone through about 1000 rds each of their .45, .38, and .380 ammo with no problems.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I reload my own, and I have to tell you, there is no better feeling than the total confidence you can put into your own ammo because you KNOW exactly what goes into each round.  When you are physically inspecting every case and the powder level of every case before seating a bullet and also inspecting every seated primer, and everything else about the round, too, you soon trust it above all other ammo once you have proven that load to work well in your rifle.

CJ

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good South African ammo remains an 11 cent item and Wolf is even cheaper.
-- Chuck
View Quote

SA is getting rare.  Only one or two places still has some in stock.  (The battlepack ammo, not the gazelle box.)
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top