Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2002 7:39:24 PM EDT
Are we taking for granted the supply of 223 (5.56) ammo readily available. One day it will be gone, trust me!  Why shoot 3000 rounds a year? Save it!!! Just in case, or, pass it down to your kids.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#1]
What's that old saying? "Practice Makes Perfect" Better to get as much practice now while the ammo is still so inexpensive. If the prices go up, or an ammo shortage happens, then you can use your stored ammo more effectively.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea Right!! That's a good one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Not meant to be a flame, but how much practice is enough? What happens if costs become so high you cant afford to practice?  Doesn't your skill decrease with the lack of practice?  Seems like a catch 22 to me.  Less ammo...less practice; More ammo...more practices...less ammo in the future.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#4]
It's an evil plot by us CommieGun Lovers.
Soon there will be nothing left for you to shoot except WOLF AMMO !

[b]MUUUUHHHHHAAAHAAAA[/b]  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Reasons I shoot 5000+ rounds of .223 per year.
1.  Because I can
2.  Because practice makes perfect
3.  Because by the time .223 runs out my great great great grandkids will be using phasers anyway.
4.  Because I don't live in Kalifornistan.
5.  Because I can reload enough today to last several years.
6.  Because every round I shoot is a round that is not destroyed by some governmental moron.
7.  Lastly, Because I can

M.M.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Ya right, that's like telling a drug addict to stop using and stockpile because the prices are going to go up.

Looook at all that ammo....I'll shoot one mag ya just one mag....I can stop anytime. [:)]

Link Posted: 12/27/2002 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not meant to be a flame, but how much practice is enough? What happens if costs become so high you cant afford to practice?  Doesn't your skill decrease with the lack of practice?  Seems like a catch 22 to me.  Less ammo...less practice; More ammo...more practices...less ammo in the future.
View Quote

Yes over time skill can decrease. That being said, I would much rather have more skill now in case it is needed. If it comes down to the fact of not being able to practice for years, it will take longer for me to get back to the bottom.[;)]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Some times I would dump a mag... And my friends would ask what I was shooting at. I replied "North West", because it was too quiet.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:48:40 AM EDT
[#9]
5.56 ammo will not be "GONE" any time soon; no matter how much I shoot. It seems like the "good" stuff gets a little harder to find all the time but I believe that is often more a function of price control than of supply.

It might be banned in some states. Or have a 50% tax added or some crap like that.

Just buy enough to last until the ARs all disintegrate from age. It is your duty.

By the way, my ammo supply has nothing to do with my waist; that is more a function of my cookie supply.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Why shoot 3000 rounds a year? Save it!!! Just in case, or, pass it down to your kids.
View Quote

Yeah, I will continue purchasing rifles and ammo and never shoot them so I can store them away for my kids. I will also include a note to my kids to say that they should not shoot it either and to pass it along to their kids.  [:P]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#11]
223 disappears/drys up?

Rechamber to 222Remington or 222Remington Magnum, keep shooting.

Rechamber to 17 Remington, rechamber to 25/223Remington, 300Whisper, use a 22lr. conversion, or do one of a couple other chamberings for more common rounds.     Keep a couple thou. rounds of 223Rem with a 223Rem chambered upper and have other uppers available for non-evil military chamberings.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#12]
[slap]      
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#13]
3000 rounds a year? You only go the range once a year? what gives man? :)
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#14]
223 will never disapear or dry up so need to chamber to 222 rem or 222 rem mag. as for surplus ammo when it is gone we can shoot Rem UMC or Winchester in teh white box that stuff is cheap to.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:34:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I enjoy shooting and reloading as a hobby.  Some people go bowling, play golf, race cars, shoot pool, etc....

I am not going to live my life worring about what might or might not happen in the future.

Gas prices will probably go up more percentage wise than ammo prices.  But I'm not going to stop driving my vehicle.  If I can afford the gas and the ammo, then I'm going to use it.

I'm not going to stop eating beef just because someone predicts that cattle will run out of grazing land some day.

That's the survivalist mentality;[b]"gloom, despair and agony on me, deep dark depression and excessive misery, if it warn't for bad luck, I'd have not luck at all.........."[/b]

Seems like I've heard that song somewhere else before....???

Rambosky

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#16]
save brass/reload
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top