Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2002 1:31:57 PM EDT
I bought an Armalite M15A2 and was wondering what is the best, cheapest ammo to plink with? Wolf Ammo seems pretty cheap and available around these parts but is it decent ammo in .223? I've shot 1000s of Wolf ammo out of my SKS, but after all it is a SKS. Any suggestions will help me out a lot! Thanks!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have shot Russian ammo and it goes bang, but I find it dirty and only marginally accurate. If price is your main criteria then buy it for plinking.

I would prefer a better grade of ammo for a nice AR. You can find quite a selection on-line. If 1K will last you a while then you don't need the cheapest.

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#2]
See this link for comprehensive information about ammo:
[url]http://www.ammo-oracle.com[/url]

The short story is ... buy whatever is inexpensive for you, easy to obtain, relatively good quality (reliable / accurate), and doesn't leave a bothersome clean-up chore in your rifle after shooting!

Ammo prices vary; what's "best" one week (pricewise) may not be "best" the next week. So if you can afford to buy in bulk, then you can secure yourself an ammo supply that will provide you with consistent performance for awhile.

As Oslow said, Russian stuff (like Wolf) is relatively "dirty". South African military surplus ammo enjoys some popularity with many people on this board ... I haven't shot any of this myself but have heard it can be "dirty" also (but it can be had inexpensively).

Check out ammoman.com and Natchez Shooters supply - both good sources and fair prices. Frequently you'll run across ammo sales at either or both places for some pretty decent stuff.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#3]
there are a few to stay away from,

S&B and some say wolf.

Check the ammo forum for the list. If you don't reload go surplus for plinking.

mike
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Black Hills blue box (remanufactured) ammo is every bit as good as new production ammo and is very reasobably priced.  I buy mine from Georgia Precision Shooter's Supply (see his section of the industry area on this website).  Reasonable prices, great service.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 9:51:53 AM EDT
[#5]
www.wideners.com....... 900 rds ( 3- 300 rd battle packs) South african $105 plus s/h..
Just ordered some myself.....
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#6]
What's up with the S&B ammo...Sellier & Belliot (sp.)

Was  this just a couple of bad lots or is it all bad stuff?

My dealer has 1K rounds for $129......tempting, I just dont want my brand new and only AR to go KB.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 10:34:42 AM EDT
[#7]
great ammo, great price, fast ship, and comes right to your door.
[url]http://www.wideners.com/shopping/cart.asp?Action=Details&item=SA223[/url]
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#8]
just realized Widenersis located in TN, so shipping will be very very cheap for you.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the Lake City M193 is great for plinking or serious use. I've gotten it from a few sources that were recommended here, but wholesalehunter.com had the best deal and I grabbed 2k a couple months ago. I got 2700 of the SA battle packs from Sprortsman's Guide a while back and it has been great too. I wouldn't shoot any cheap steel cased ammo out of that nice AR (that's why I got my AK) and I only use S&B pistol ammo.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I've put about 600 rounds of Lake City M193 (Lot 6) through my Bushy and I've been very happy with it; decent price, nice accuracy, smells good (heh)...

Two things, though: I found several cartridges with big dents just below the shoulder (didn't fire them for fear of a KB) and I had one dud (I don't have a bullet puller so I can't say why it didn't go BANG).  

Just goes to show that it pays to inspect your ammo and practice those malfunction drills!
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top