Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2002 1:56:31 AM EDT
I just purchased a carbine AR, I also bought 1200 rds of (sealed) NATO green tips at the same time for $240.00. Also bought 10 USGI / 30 rd mags at the same time for $15.00 each.
1: Is this ammo any good?
2: Was that a good price?
3: Are 40 rd mags better?
4: The AR has a couple of 1/2 long scratches on it near the mag insert on lower receiver, the rest of it is in good shape. The #'s on reflect a 1970 manufacturers date from Colt. What would be a good price for this AR?

I will let everyone know what I paid for it after I get a sense of what the AR is worth!
Thanks
FOSI
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:48:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
1: Is this ammo any good?
2: Was that a good price?
3: Are 40 rd mags better?
4: The AR has a couple of 1/2 long scratches on it near the mag insert on lower receiver, the rest of it is in good shape. The #'s on reflect a 1970 manufacturers date from Colt. What would be a good price for this AR?
View Quote

1. Hard to say as you didn't provide any brand info...... suggest you check out the "AMMO FAQ" tacked to the top of the Ammunition forum.

2. Depending on the brand.... price doesn't seem too bad.

3. Sterling 40 round mags are expensive and you might want to read the "MAGAZINE FAQ" tacked to the top of the Magazine forum for info there about what brands to buy and which to avoid.

4. From your post appears to be a Pre-Ban Colt of undetermined model.... not listed is whether it's A1, A2 or A3, nor is barrel length/ FS/ bayo-lug commented on. You didn't make it too easy to guess about a value, but since it's a Pre-Ban could be worth anywhere from $1200 to $2500.

Perhaps a look at Gun's America.com or the Equipment Exchange here for prices on the model Colt you have, might help ya get a more accurate estimate. Here's a good spot to check out your model: [url]www.biggerhammer.net[/url] look under "Colt variants".

Mike

PS - Welcome to AR-15.com and take full advantage of the work already done on-site to get ya up to speed on your AR questions.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:50:21 AM EDT
[#2]
The paint on the tips means nothing.  Who made the ammo?  It it's new production IMI M855 Ball it's good ammo (TZZ headstamp).  

The best magazines for this system are USGI 30 (and 20) round magazines.  There are no USGI 40s, avoid them.

Good price for this rifle would be $500. [;)]

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 7:58:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Green tipped is the US Military designation for M855 (steel penetrator).  NATO SS-109 is also has a steel penetrator (actually it's the same bullet) but may not be loaded as "hot" as the M855 (Case in point the NATO Brit SS-109).

Also don't be fooled by "Comercial" green tipped ammo such as Olympic SS-109.  M855 is M855 and Olympic Green tipped "ain't no M855."[:D]
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#4]
OK[:)]
I was wrong on Manufacturers date but its a Pre-Ban.
1: It says ColtAR-15 on the side Model: SP1
Serial# 84XXX. It has a collapsible stock on it, closed length is 35.5", extended is 38 3/4" approx. Barrel is 20". It has place for the bayonet.
2: The Ammo has FNM 92-1 with NATO symbol on the back.
3: I only paid $800.00 for the rifle.
I didnt know what FS meant so I couldn't answer, Sorry!
Thanks
FOSI
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#5]
FS = Flash Supressor
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top