Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2002 5:35:26 AM EDT
Hi Newbie to AR but been around the block. I have everything to reload for my new RRA  24" Varmint model.  I've been reloading for years and am just wondering why I should reload for it?  I reload for my bolt guns mainly for accuracy.  I have sub MOA at 200m easily with 223, 22-250 and my 6mm bolt guns.  I practice all the little tips & tricks to tweak out as much as I can. However, with the AR I see full length sizing is the norm so you lose any advantage to neck sizing only. I measure every round of powder and it looks like with an AR as long as it feeds & cycles it's OK?  Weighing each empty case looks like a waste of time. So I am down to asking myself . How do I get accuracy from the AR if not by reloads?  The cost is not a real advantage.  I enjoy reloading for accuracy but if I cant apply the same thinking to reloading for an AR then what can be done?  I should mention. I only shoot for pleasure no competition and some groundhog hunting. Although a prairie dog trip would be fun....

Thanks for any input

Regards

Dave
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 7:28:33 AM EDT
[#1]
You can expect to take better advantage of a Varminter's accuracy if you reload.  The only ammo that will come close to reloadings accuracy is fairly expensive stuff.  Black Hills is reasonable, as is Winchester USA's 45 gr. JHP load.  The cost IS an advantage if you consider 'varmint' or 'match' ammo runs upward of $0.75 per round.  A reloaded equivalent can be made for less than a quarter.

You will achieve great accuracy by reloading your own, at reasonable cost.  Consistency is key, but don't go overboard though with perfection.
I don't weigh cases.  I simply keep brass lots seperate.
I have found that MOST powders will cycle the action as long as the charge is high enough.

Reloading for the AR WILL give you accuracy.  Neck sizing is not the only aspect.

If you are already set-up for reloading, why not?  It will only cost you for die and a shellholder.  It'll pay for itself quickly.

Using $16/pound powder, LC cases, and $14/box bullets, you will be able to pay for a $40 caliber investment in as little as 60 rounds versus $18 per box ammo.

If you plink only, then it is up to you, but if you ever want more than a couple boxes of Grade A ammo that you know will hit a target, do it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Why bother reloading?

Loading -- OK.  Get new primed Winchester cases and skip all the sizing, depriming, cleaning, ete., etc., and spend your time working up some good, accurate loads.

-- Chuck
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top