Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2002 6:17:49 PM EDT
Anyone out there know anything about the South African PMP ammo?  It is sold as and appears to be new production ammo.  It is packaged in 20 round boxes similar to UMC, PMC, etc. with a picture of an antelope or similar animal on the outside.  It is brass-cased, 55 grain, FMJ just like the UMC/PMC stuff.  I've seen no mention of it in the ammo FAQ or anywhere else on the board.  I've seen it at several gunshows in Central Florida and is usually sold in 500 round boxes for around $75. I purchased 100 rounds and experienced no malfunctions or other problems.  Anything I need to know about this ammo?  BTW I am using it strictly for practice/plinking.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never fired the stuff, but AIM surplus has a photo of the box  

[url]http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AIM__223__15.html[/url]

and the write-up says:  

South African PMP .223

New PMP .223 ammo made in South Africa. Brass case, FMJ, Non-Corr, Boxer primed Reloadable, 55grn. Packaged 20rd/box, 500rds/case.
Check correct price schedule before adding to cart.

500rd case $69.95ea
2 or more 500rd cases $67.50ea

Link Posted: 12/1/2002 4:36:01 AM EDT
[#2]
About three years ago I bought 1500 rds. of it from Cheaper Than Dirt read as "More Expensive Than Gold" now...  It was pretty good stuff consistent and reliable but it was a little on the light side.  Good for range work but not for SHTF.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 5:39:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I have fired well over a thousand rounds of PMP ammo in both of my ars. It has been very accurate but a bit underloaded. No problems at all. Try a box or two. It is also reloadable
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 7:09:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I have found it to be pretty accurate for plinking ammo.

If you reload, you will probably like it as well, since there is no primer crimp to remove, and the brass is generally good.

It's also cheap!
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I've shot a little of it through my 14" T/C contender.  It wasn't super accurate but I think that was because of a loose trigger nut (me).  Good brass though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I've shot over 3k rounds of this stuff on and off the pass 2 years.  It's good and I like it better than the SA surplus battle packs.  This stuff works 100% in everything I've tried.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Is this the SA PMP M193 55gr ,you guys are talking about was gonna order some for plinking is it worth it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I have fired about 200 rounds through my bushmaster with no problems at all.  We chronographed 11 different types of ammo one day. This is how the PMP commercial came out.
fired out of a bushmaster 14.5 in barrel with 1.5 in muzzle brake. 1/9 twist. temp 60 degrees with the chrono set up at about 10feet
average 2862
standard deviation 11.44

as you can see its not loaded as hot as some
but it was the most consistant of any ammo ive shot so far.

first time posting so dont flame too hard on me guys
if i left anything out im sure someone will point it out

hope this helps
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#9]
PMP is good stuff for plinking and general shooting.

It's priced right,is reliable,no stoopid steel cases,it isn't filthy,and is very consistent.

Back in 99' I laid in a HUGE stock of PMP for the customers that were in a Y2K panic.

I sold all of it,and then about 6 mos. the same guys were looking for more!

I burned about 3 cases myself,and had nary a issue with it.

The price you are getting is exceptionally good in my area.

Good luck!
S-28
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the help guys.  I think this stuff may be the best deal in my area for practice/plinking since I can get 500 rounds for about $70.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top