Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/22/2002 5:37:00 AM EDT
I have a couple of large unmarked boxes with loose 9mm ammo in them, all privately loaded. I believe some of the ammo is 115 gr and most is 146 gr, but with no marking I can't tell. I have a new 9mm upper suppressor/barrel configuration for my M16, and it won't eat the 146 gr without possible baffle strikes.

Will a jewelry/reloading scale be able to show the difference in loaded cartridge weight so I can seperate the 115 gr from the 146 gr? I don't have a scale but a buddy 50 miles from here does - figgered I'd ask on here before making the trek to his house.

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 5:56:57 AM EDT
[#1]
You probably could weigh them and separate them.  However, I'm sure you spent a pretty nice chunk of cash on the weapon and suppressor.  Why take a chance on ammo that you aren't absolutely sure about.  I would feed it through a pistol if possible.  Of course since you aren't sure of the actual bullet weights then are you sure that the rounds are actually loaded properly?  I think I would avoid shooting this ammo through this weapon if I was in your place.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#2]
The ammo [i]per se[/i] is excellent - it's new reloaded - and I've run thousands of rounds through a MAC without a hiccup.

But you're right about the investment in the upper and suppressor - if I can't absolutely differentiate between the two weights I won't run it through the gun.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#3]
20 each 147gr 9mm cartridges weighed 9.8oz.  ProLoad JHP.

20 115gr Wolf, only 115gr I could find as I normally shoot 9mmNATO, weighed 8.1oz.  

I'll let you convert it to grains if you have a scale that reads in that unit.

Army Ammunition Data sheet shows the individual 115gr commercial cartridge weight as 182gr which computes to 8.32oz for 20 of 'em (see above).  9mm NATO weighs 179gr each.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Chuck, that info will come in handy - thanks a lot!
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Why would 147gr cause baffle strikes?... somethings not right...
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#6]
PROFGAB101, it has to do with the length of the 147 gr round.

The weapon's barrel and suppressor are a ported configuration - similar to the MP-5SD - designed to be able to take regular high velocity 115 or 124 gr FMJ ammo and slow it down to subsonic. You can use any regular 9mm FMJ ammo, no need for special ammo to achieve a satisfactory degree of suppression.

The 147 gr rounds are dimensionally longer, and the twist, length, and porting of the barrel does not provide the stability to guarantee no strikes.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top