Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2002 4:20:16 PM EDT
Did anyone see CSI Miami last night???  The sniper was using .223 sabots, out of a model 700.  I've never seen those before??? The sabot looked strange and was wider then the neck.  How would that fit into the chamber??? Do they really exist??? And why would you need them?
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you understood what you were watching last night . The bolt bun was chambered for 308. The thing shot a .22 bullet inside a 30 cal sabot. Remington sold these things by the thousands 25 years ago. They also had sabot rounds for 30-30 & 30-06 as well. I've shot at least 100 rounds of the things from a 308 as well as a 30-30. And you can still purchase 30 to 22 sabots from some reloading suppliers.
The sabots turned heavy ,slow rounds into a high speed varmit round . And that's what I used them for.(30-06 velocity was 4000+ FPS)
Other use is you cant fingerprint the weapon. Hey ,what happened after the autopsie... I fell asleep!
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#2]
And to add to what sniper1az said, they were called "Accelerator".  They're still being made, off and on.  Mostly off, it seems.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanx sniper... your right I wasn't payin attention very well... but what your saying makes complete sense... They showed the cartridges and sabots quickly and now that I recall.. the casings were a little wider then a standerd .223... I guess the muzzle was pretty large as well... Wow.. Nom Im ashamed of my self... I shoulda picked up on that... thanks

the ending was good, caught the guy on top of like a 40 story building trying to make an 850 yd shot...  
  How the caught him was a little crazy and kinda far streched...  they analized some of the sand found at one of the scenes...  realized it could have only come from one of 3 quarries...  Checked out the quarry... saw where he was training...  got a latent print (Like he woulda left all that shit there...)  ran the print, found out he was an ex sniper... searched his house and found that he kept ballistic data from everyshot he ever fired...      
   Now this is where it gets crazy...  they found a ballistics card from that morning of his latest shooting...  saw some shit on the card... analyzed the card... found out that it was a special glue used to keep rooftops from blowing off in hurricanes...  3 buildings in miami had used it... but only one didnt have its roof replaced since it was used... ( Iknow its gettin deep here, and they figured this all out in 2 days!!!!)  So they sent a swat team up to that one buliding... while the main guy ran around at the target zone...   clearing people outa the way... He had a helicopter use its down wash to make the target area windy so the sniper wouldnt take the shot and risk missing... then the swat team grabed the sniper and the end...

And I don't get to see the Hot Blonde Ballistics expert for another week...
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#4]
You can find them on Gun Broker most of the time.  Just a couple examples.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=6141570

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=6162848

MM
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#5]
How accurate are the 30/06 accelerators?
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Over 800 yards distant from targets + 200 yards elevation above targets + scope with 2000x magnification + three head shots in about 6 seconds = a good laugh.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#8]
O.K., so in real-life, how accurate is a .30/06
accelerator?
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#9]
The factory claims it will be about the same as your rifle would be with any other ammo.  I have found them to be slighly less accurate.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#10]
For super velocity:

Try a 40 grain .224 diameter projectile in a .30 sabot in a .50 sabot fired from a .50 BMG bolt action.....

Scott

Link Posted: 11/21/2002 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Wouldn't that fragment as soon as it left the barrel?
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For super velocity:

Try a 40 grain .224 diameter projectile in a .30 sabot in a .50 sabot fired from a .50 BMG bolt action.....

Scott

View Quote

"Yes, we're gonna have to go right to...ludicrous speed"  "They've gone to plaid!"
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top