Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2002 12:40:02 PM EDT
I have a question for you guys. I have 4,000 rds of LC and Q3131 that I keep for SHTF. I have 7,000 rds of South African and 2,500 rds of Malaysian. My question is should I shoot the Malaysian before the SA because it is 5 years older than the SA? Any reason to save the Malaysian? Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Man, you're making me jealous, and I thought I had a pretty good sized ammo dump ;)

Is the SA you have battlepacked? What about the Malaysian? I'd use up whatever's been the most exposed to the elements (I'm thinking this is probably the Malaysian stuff) first, then break open the sealed packs.

BTW, if you don't mind me asking, is that 4k just for one rifle? My problem is I have too many rifles and not enough ammo (only 2-3k per gun) stocked away for each one, so now I'm aiming for 10k per rifle on hand at all times. Only problem is it's getting very expensive :)
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#2]
maelcum,

Thanks,this hobby is making me poor!
The Malaysian is in ammo cans but has been opened. The SA is all in battle packs. BTW I have three AR's.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, hopefully one of the ammo "gurus" around here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think the SA will stay "fresh" longer since it hasn't been exposed to air since it was battlepacked. Although it seems like the main concern is moisture :)

I could kick myself for not buying more ammo when I had great opportunities... a few years ago I got a tub of the SA stuff (denel marked, 2880rds in 30rd boxes, all sealed in a big plastic bag inside the tub, not the battlepacked stuff) for *$200*, and I could have gotten ten more for that price. Oh well, you snooze you lose I guess... the same place (actually an Eckerd's drug store in northern NY) also had beautiful portugese 7.62x51 by the wooden case, $2 a box ($100/1k), one time, but I only bought 300rds because I didn't have any 7.62nato rifles at the time :P

I do wish the mail order ammo companies would offer more decent quantity discounts to people who want to buy 10-20k at a time. I hate to think what they must be getting this stuff for!
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:20:25 AM EDT
[#5]
If the South African is M1A4 Ball keep it.  If it's M1A1 or M1A2 shoot it up.  M1A3 is a toss up.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Chuck,
What's the difference?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top