Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2002 4:29:51 PM EDT
Had my first KB today with the M16.  Shooting South African 5.56.  The box is marked "670 A/87Z".

There is a half inch crack in the case from the base towards the neck.  The crack goes through to the primer pocket.

When it went off, the magazine came apart.  The floor plate flew off followed by the spring, follower and the rest of the ammo.  No damage was done to the rifle, shooter, or magazine.

This is just an FYI.  I can provide pics later.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Think it was a doublecharge or just case failure?
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]
The round went down range, and it did not sound different.  I am pretty sure it is a case failure.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#3]
macloud,

In 2000 the wife and visited a long time friend in the RSA.He does the PH/Outfitter thing,farms and is also a Capt. in the RSA Commando's(Reserves in yank speak) so has his R4 and kit at home for turnout.

While visiting there arose a problem with cattle thieves,and after a day or so,a squad with support and a "Casper" were on the family farm.My bud traded some fresh Impala(Mine!) for some issued ammo,and he broke out the R4 for the wife and I to plink with.

Out of the 90 rounds we had 2 failures.One with a dead primer,and one that split on me while doing my best to keep a 5 round burst on a basket weavers nest some 10m away.

The effect was interesting.The rifle stopped of course,and as I am a southpaw,I got an interesting burn on the inside of the right forearm.The mag was ejected downward and was for all purposes trashed,for the Catch stop was sheared off and was obviously bulged.

The rifle was no wear for the worst and digested the rest of the ammo without a hitch.

My Buds take on the whole affair was that since about 1996 QC has suffered a bit since mandella's people have mandated the hiring of a certain number of well connected folks with no real skills at Denel in the Govt. ammo production facility.

Obviously some folks have an axe to grind with the current regime,but as far as I have seen all makers suffer an anomoly or two in metalurgy as far as cases are concerned.

I reckon you don't have to worry about the same type of incident for several hundred thousand more rounds.You're Pre-disastered!

Good to hear you and the rifle are OK!

S-28

Link Posted: 10/28/2002 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
No damage was done to the rifle, shooter, or magazine.

I would inspect the mag catch assembly & the Exttractor closely. If anything was damaged it would likely be those things. Also inspect the bolt face for enlarged firing pin hole.

I witnessed a simular KB with "surplus" Isreali 55Gn ammo.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#5]
All this makes me think twice about my bench shooting style. I have a habit of grabbing the mag well / magazine with my off hand while I'm shooting. Anybody else do this?
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#6]
for bench shooting, bring your left hand in under the buttstock at the back, it's very comfortable, and helps steady the rifle.

txlewis
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top