Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2002 10:37:35 AM EDT
This is just a preliminary write up of what I will be doing soon.  But for now, I'm just going to tell you about how well this ammo shot for me.

Gun #1 is a DPMS 16" SS fluted upper with a Leupold 4.5-14x50.  Temp yesterday was 65 degrees, with little wind, but crappy benches.

I had the gun rested front and rear, but there was still enough wobble in the bench for me to believe this ammo could have done MUCH better.

First thing was to shoot a fouling shot, which I did on paper, just to see where point of impact was compared to the Federal m193 that its sighted in for.  I believe it was 2 o'clock of the bullseye by 2".  

Ammo felt hot, but not as punchy as the LC stuff.  I shot 4 slow fire groups each shot timed atleast 15 seconds from the last, making sure the barrel never heated up.

All groups measured under 1" except for the later rapid fire, but without flyers(one in each group), I easily had .7" groups on two, a .5" group on another and pretty close to an inch on the last. Flyers, on average, opened each group up by about .20", but I attribute that to conditions around me and my own fault on several occassions being jittery around people with comp'd guns.

The ammo functioned perfectly throughout the test and did not appear to be as dirty as other surplus ammo I've used.  Rapid fire group was hampered by "Lunchlady Range Officer Brunhilda" who's voice stopped me on two occassions for firing too fast.  Too fast meant a 20 round clip in one minute.  Anyway, that 20 round group measured just about 2.5" and the barrel was hot afterwards.  Still not something I'm unhappy with.  In fact, I thought it was pretty good.

Gun#2: Remington PSS 223 with Leupold 6.5-20x50.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME FOLKS!  Atleast not with the earlier PSS 223's, which had the slower twist barrel.  All bullets entered the paper SIDEWAYS at varying distances from the bull.  I won't even bother with writing anything meaningful, since I'd never shoot this through my PSS again.  I've had problems with heavy ammo in the past, but nothing like ammo tumbling through the target, so I'm not quite sure what caused this to occur.

Either this or next weekend, I'll be testing 5 types of Black Hills ammo, Winchester Q13A3, Federal XM193, South African, Swiss GP-90 and IMI SS109 through 4 AR15's and the PSS and reporting back to you with pics from the day.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top