Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2002 4:43:09 PM EDT
Just wanted to fill you guys in on a little experience I had.  I was shooting .22s at a steel spinner target a while ago and decided to try a .223 on it to see what happens.  I was shooting Federal M-193 and the Ultramax 55 grain FMJ.  I fired about 10 rounds and went to inspect the target...  Both types of ammo went CLEAN through, like someone took a drill to it.  I had a paper target on a plastic target holder behind it and apparently the bullets fragmented as they passed through because there were fragment holes all over the target and holder.  It was pretty cool, it looked like a mini shotgun blast where the fragments hit the target.
It's probably not new, but I thought I'de pass it along to everyone.
-Marksman

Edited to Add: I was shooting at about 40 yards.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey Marksman, if you want to make it interesting, try moving the plate back to 100 yards and shooting at it with M855 spec ammo. You'll be surprised how much the 5.56 will penetrate, but as you noticed, the round is pretty well kaput after they exit, nothing big enough to cause much more than a superficial wound.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Ain't velocity grand?
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, thanks for the compliment!
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 10:56:24 AM EDT
[#4]
3/8 inch steel vs SA .223?

My SA slices right through!!!

@110 yds, SA dings in deep, but does not penetrate.

@110 yds Portugese .308 doesn't go thru either, but it dings QUICK and loud!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well, thanks for the compliment!

LOL!  
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#6]
My only question would be "What kind of "Steel Plate" was it? "

I've seen 1/4" face hardened mild steel defeat 5.56 quite easily..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Has anyone here shot M193 through a car door or window- for end of the world people I would think this would be an important tidbit on if it penetrates the inner wall of a car door, or if it has any umph left after going through a front/back window.

My local range occassionally has had car doors all shot up sitting in a dumpster, but someone told me it was the police using the range that did it.

Link Posted: 9/30/2002 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#8]
ED_P - yes it does.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Has anyone here shot M193 through a car door or window- for end of the world people I would think this would be an important tidbit on if it penetrates the inner wall of a car door, or if it has any umph left after going through a front/back window.

My local range occassionally has had car doors all shot up sitting in a dumpster, but someone told me it was the police using the range that did it.

You mean like this?

This was done from 100 yards.  The other side of the door doesn't look any nicer.  I can't say for sure what power remains after penetration, but I can assure you the 5.56 is still quite lethal on the other side.  Most pistol rounds from 9mm up still pack lethal power on the other side of the door too.  I may have an opportunity in the future to stack 6 or 7 doors together and see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I've shot 1/4" steel at 50 yards with my 22-250, using 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tips at about 3600fps.. Put a clean hole right through it.. and these are violently FRAGMENTING varmint bullets.. I've shot a pumpkin with these bullets, there was no pumpkin after shooting.. and the bullet didn't even hit the paper behind the pumpkin.. They do strange things, don't they.. Velocity makes it even more wild.

It was probably mild steel, but none the less.. it's impressive.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 6:08:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I shot a Gatorade bottle full of newspaper wads and red dye with a 40 grain Hornady V-Max from a .223.

I don't have a chrony, but the velocity was probably in the neighborhood of 3400 fps.

100% of the energy transferred to the target.  It didn't pop though.  It did jump up about 2 feet and land about 6 feet behind the target stand.

There was no exit hole, just a clean entry.  I was dumbfounded that it didn't penetrate 5 inches of wet paper and fluid.  Too bad it would be an incredible mess to try to recover the bullet fragments.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I shot a Gatorade bottle full of newspaper wads and red dye with a 40 grain Hornady V-Max from a .223.

I don't have a chrony, but the velocity was probably in the neighborhood of 3400 fps.

100% of the energy transferred to the target.  It didn't pop though.  It did jump up about 2 feet and land about 6 feet behind the target stand.

There was no exit hole, just a clean entry.  I was dumbfounded that it didn't penetrate 5 inches of wet paper and fluid.  Too bad it would be an incredible mess to try to recover the bullet fragments.

What size was the Gatorade bottle?  Did you shoot into the base or the side?  Odd that there was no exit from a 50 yard shot.  I know the bullet must have disintegrated, but sheesh, no exit at all?  no fragments, bullet tips, etc?

Strange.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What size was the Gatorade bottle?  Did you shoot into the base or the side?  Odd that there was no exit from a 50 yard shot.  I know the bullet must have disintegrated, but sheesh, no exit at all?  no fragments, bullet tips, etc?

Strange.

TRG

It was a shot into the base.  It was one of those 32 oz. bottles.

I was completely suprised.  I expected most of the top of the bottle to be missing or shredded.  There was evidence in the plastic that fragments struck it though.

The newspaper was pulped in many places, and the clear plastic of the bottle had little opaque spots in it from being struck.  None of these spots was an actual penetration though.

Apparently the media in the bottle prevented the fragments from travelling too far or fast.  I am unable to actually see any fragments, but I can see the evidence of their passing.

My opinion is that these things fragment quickly and completely.  I have never seen anything else like it.

Yes, the range was 50 yds.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I have some 3/8" steel plates from "Law Enforcement targets.com". At 300 yds XM-193 punches a 1/4" dent.  .22-250 55gr Vmax punches even further.    
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought some spinning rifle targets from
http://www.metaltargets.com/Home.htm that are really strong. They have taken hundreds of .223 FMJ and about 100 .308 FMJ with only minor pitting. No dents! Ranges as close as 50 yards on the .223 and a min. of 100 yards on the .308.
Targets are reasonably priced also.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a steel fence post that I shot two holes through with m-193 L92 at 320 meters. This was not done on purpose.

The steel post is .117 inches thick where the bullet holes are.

The holes are oval shaped.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top