Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2002 2:22:18 PM EDT
I'm getting into shooting long-range with my new Savage model 10, but I'm having trouble locating specific info on the federal matchking 168grn BTHP... I looked on Federals site, but they don't specify the barrel length they used to develop the velocity/ballistic data they provide. That, and they also state the same MV for the 175grn BTHP, which seems odd.

What I'm looking for is tables for trajectory/bullet drop out of a 20" barrel, for ranges out to 1000 yards.  Any of you guys have a resource for this?
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I did not see a reference to barrel length, but this might help.

www.snipercentral.com/308.htm

ARH
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 4:07:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 6:33:03 AM EDT
[#3]
You are going to be real close to 2600 fps with the Federal Gold Medal 168 SMK load and your 20" Savage.

You need to measure your scope height (center of bore to center of scope. Should be about 1.5" with a 40mm OB.

You need to know your ballistic coefficent for 168 SMK
.462 @ 2600 fps and above
.447 between 2600 and 2100 fps
.424 between 2100 and 1600 fps
.405 @ 1600 fps and below
It looks like drag is DECREASED as the bullet slows, I would punch in .447 as my BC and play with that for a while.

Your bullet weight is 168 grains.

You also need your zero range

Put it into this Ballistics Calculator

The cool thing about that calculator is that you can figure drop in MOA, forget about figuring drop in inches and distance, it will drive you crazy.

This will keep you on paper to at least 600yards and then you may need to adjust due to some errors of FPS, scope height and BC.

You need to get someone to let you shoot the sky screens off of their chronograph to get your true MV. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the replys, fellas.  Frank, that calculator site kicks ass... I think the mods should tack it somewhere, though I don't know where.  It's a great resource.  I'm going shooting today, so I'll post how close my actual shooting came to what the calculator predicted.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top