Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/21/2002 10:41:18 AM EDT
I just purchased some british 5.56  from a gun show.  It is labeled RORG 89 and has the nato circle/cross.  I paid $25 for a 150 rnd bandoleer.  Is this good stuff?  Did I pay too much?  I bought it because I was curious and thought the brits make good ammo.  Thanks for any replies.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#1]
This is probably in the faq.

British ammo is said to be a little underpowered for functioning of the british pos rifles.

If you paid more than $.20 a round, that would be high.  You paid that, a little higher than average, but you'll live.

Shoot the stuff, if you like it go with it.  It's prolly only a 100fps or 2 below m193 or m855.

I personally would by xm193, q3131a, or SA surplus, all a little cheaper, and all with a better reputation.  But again, just go shoot it and enjoy.  You don't need 400 dopes here telling you it sucks or not.  Just enjoy shooting.  

When your going for long term storage, then get some expert opinions here.  125rds is just 1/2 hour shooting for me, so go enjoy.

TXLEWIS
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 3:02:49 PM EDT
[#2]
That's actually a good price ($.17) It is underloaded and most likely will not cycle any 20" AR. We shot about 1800 rounds at a tactical match and NOBODY had a problem (we use 16" carbines). You gotta love the bandoleer and stripper clips.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you gentlemen, I will soon find out how this will work in my 20" Armalite as I will be heading for the range this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#4]
If it works flawlessly in your 20" rifle you're one lucky guy.  I generally have a faliure every 5 rounds of so out of a full sized rifle, BUT I went through almost 3000 rounds of the stuff in a Carbine Course at Blackwater this past spring.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I am trying to understand why 20" won't cycle the ammo and 16" will. You think there would be more gas pressure in the longer barrel, or is it because the gas comes out closer to the action in the carbines?
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am trying to understand why 20" won't cycle the ammo and 16" will. You think there would be more gas pressure in the longer barrel, or is it because the gas comes out closer to the action in the carbines?

Think pressure curve/spike.  On the Cars, the spike is higher due to the shorter gas tube.

Also think about all the guys who are having problems with the extractor being ripped off the rims by the high pressure spikes of normal ammo.  If the working pressure is lower, the spike will also be lower.  
This allows it to unlock a car bolt, but is too weak of a pulse/pressure to unlock a full size rifle.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#7]
i read a something about the older brit ss109 round was not underpowered. this was before they knew their rifle was an underachiever. i can't remember the cut off but the thread was here on the ammo board.

i have some that is early 80's and it works great in my m4 barrel.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#8]

The 16" has a longer length of barrel in front of the gas port than the 20", meaning that the gas pressure has a longer time to operate the mechanism before it escapes out the muzzle.

At least that's my guess.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I had some brit stuff I got in Maine, short cycled the 20" A2, but not my A1 car., good plinking for the car though, nice light load, but next to no fragmenting, great on raccoons (heheh) It was underloaded for the L-85 though, to improve performance. I think the thing is just teething, they never really used it much till now, they'll do quick fixes like you guys did on the m-16, maybe it'll turn out. The damn thing's action is based (loosely) on an AR180! I hate bullpups though, just my 2 cents.

"Death was our business and business was good."
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top