Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2002 10:29:13 AM EDT
Hello Everyone at AR15.COM
First time user and need some solid choices on .308 Ammunition. I picked up two Russian Saiga .308 caliber semi-auto rifles, one with a 16"bbl and the other with a 22"bbl. So far they both show good accuracy at 100 yards with 1.25" groups 22"bbl and 1.55" groups with the 16"bbl. All groups fires with Green box Remingtion ammunition, I would like to find something much cheaper to use with decent results. Any suggestions or opinions?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I use 7.62 milsurp for cheap plinking/break-in ammo in my .308's.  It probably won't be as accurate as cheap factory ammo, but fine for general use.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I would try the Mil. Surp. Austrian.  Best stuff I have ever found.  The South African is not bad, but I prefer the European ammo.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I too want to try the Austrian 308 ammo. (Is that Hirtenberger??)

I am very satisfied with quality/reliability and accuracy of Brit. Surplus 'Radway Green' ("RG") 147gr ammo.

I was shooting some mid-80s RG ammo thru my AR10A2+4X TA51 ACOG. At 90ish yards (cousin's ranch) I was getting some honest 1" groups; not bad for shooting off a fertilizer bag on the hood of a truck!

I'm looking to get some more RG ammo soon..

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Link Posted: 9/19/2002 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would try the Mil. Surp. Austrian.  Best stuff I have ever found.  The South African is not bad, but I prefer the European ammo.

The Austrian stuff is Hirtenberger.  I love it, although it's not in abundant supply, and it's not exactly cheap.

Next down on my list is Portuguese surplus.  It compares very favorably to the Hirt.

Then come the Radway Green and South African.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Phila-PD

Hey.  Try the Portuguese stuff from www.aimsurplus.com.  It is very clean ammo, and you can't beat the price since it includes shipping.  The folks at AIM are cordial and they don't do silly things with the shipping.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#6]
SOG had hirt advertised for $140/M+shipping (also charge 2% more for CC orders) in their last catalog.  Usually been seeing it for $180/M lately, when you can even find it.  However, SOG is notorious for listing stuff they don't really have.

One of the biggest pluses about Hirt is that it is boxer primed, and so reloadable (unlike most of the other surplus out there in this caliber).  However, AK's usually ding up the brass below the shoulder pretty badly, so any extra expense may be worth it - that is, if you even reload.  AIM at www.aimsurplus.com has the port at $140/M shipped right now, which also seems to be some decent stuff, though non-reloadable.

There's also a show this weekend at the Philly national guard armory - you'll pay a few more $$$ there, but have the convenience (or inconvenience, depending on how you look at it) at walking out with it in your hands and not waiting for delivery.

Rocko
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, the Austrian is HP.  I onced used htis through an SSG-69 in Ausria. Shot great even though it wasn't HP match. (insert Bias here) best stuff ever made.

There is still some HP around but it is getting hard to find now.  I stocked up with about 15 cases.

I have been selling ammo for about 8 years at gun shows and have found that while I like the Portuguese, a lot of people do not like it.  There also seems to be some problem with the FNM (portuguese) and FAL's.  Seems there is a MINOR problem with failure to fire.  I have had the same problem as well.  I still like it though.  

The German stuff is nice, but tends to be less accurate and almost imposible to find.

Personally I wouldn't have British ammo in any of my guns, but it is personall preferece. Heard too many complaints, mostly due to improper storage.

I also agree with AIM, our shop is just down the road from them so we do a lot of business with them. Great guys.  I would try to use them before SOG, they are more honest.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top