Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2002 10:46:32 AM EDT
Here are some pics. A friend gave them to me.

The tips on the bullets appear to be black plastic. the head stamp is "HP 5.56 .223" and, get this, the primer is stamped "CF". I have never seen that before.

Thanks,

Bob
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Never seen this before. Crimped and sealed primers says it's military. Could it be SRTA? (Short Range Training Ammunition)
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#2]
My friend, I have never seen anything like that before! Obviously it was made by a military contractor in some nation, but what exactly it is I have no idea. I heard someone say that the HP headstamp could possibly be something originating from Argentina, but I can't be for sure. Certainly is weird looking stuff......how accurate is that stuff?
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#3]
HP is the head stamp of Hirtenberger out of Austria.  This is definatly their ammo.  

They did make a lot of specialty ammo, and this could be some of it.  Like Big_Bear said - looks like a short range training round to me. Posibly frangible?
Too bad they closed up shop a few years ago, it was some of the best ammo in the world.  (bias noted)
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't shot it. I only have 40 rounds on stripper clips as shown. The plastic leans more towards bakelite than say, Nosler ballistic tip soft plastic.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Hirtenberger is gone? I guess this means it is collectable?!?  

I used to eat up their .308 in my M14A1 and later, the AR10A4.

That is a shame.

Link Posted: 9/8/2002 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#6]
.223 NATO 55 Grain Fragmenting Anti-Terrorist Bullets.  Designed to Minimize collateral damage from passing through walls, bodies and such.  

-Confusion

Link Posted: 9/8/2002 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#7]
AR15ForFun, they have been gone for about 5 years now.  I have always had the feeling that if there is a demand large enough, the Austrian government will re-open the factory.  We Austrians along with the Swiss sell weapons and ammo to anyone with the cash to buy.

Confusion, yes, that would be the definition of frangible. Anti-terrorist?????
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#8]
wadcutter?
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I also believe this ammo is Hirtenberger based on the HP mark.

I have never seen this round before though. It looks like it fires a brass case that is filled with something and capped of with a plastic tip/cap. Possibly some high intensity tracer or explosive tip or some kind of frangible round. Someone who visits this site should know.

Would you sell the 20 or 40 rounds?

THISISME
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#10]
AR15forfun-I second Confusion. I have a small stash of this ammunition. It will cycle the action of my Colt, and it tremendously destructive on soft targets .. I was informed by a reliable source that it was intended as "limited penetration" ammunition..

If you don't want it, I'll gladly take it!

Meplat-
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Man, would I love to gel test some of this stuff!
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Brouhaha- I have five rounds I can spare.(out of 35 total- see why I want some more?)

Meplat-

Link Posted: 9/8/2002 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
.223 NATO 55 Grain Fragmenting Anti-Terrorist Bullets.  Designed to Minimize collateral damage from passing through walls, bodies and such.

That sounds like a fancy definition of Glaser safety slugs or magsafes. Are these prefragmented bullets? Dunno about the "NATO" part as there's no NATO circle/cross. Any of you guys who know what this stuff is know what the nomenclature is? i.e. M-???
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#14]
BigBear- They work simililar to the  Nylon projectile developed for the old "Air Marshall" program. Very light, very fast..The plastic tip to my understanding induces fragmentation of the copper jacket.. It's velocity drops off very rapidly, but at close range it was terribly destructive on small furry creatures (Compared to normal Remington hollowpoints)

Considering my source for it's origin is currently employed in the Austrian equivalent of the old Springfield Armory? I sure hope the info is.. It's NOT NATO ammo though, just 5.56 NATO chambering..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#15]
NATO would never condone the use of ammo such as this...too effective and decimating against close targets.  That's not PC enough.

It almost looks like a sabot type ammo, so I agree with Confusion as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 1:04:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Hi,

Confusion and Meplat are right, it's frangible anti-personel ammo (40 grain) intended for use near sensitive installations. I don't know wether it's made anymore but I haven't seen any since halfway the 90's.

btw, Hirtenberger is still alive and kicking:
www.hirtenberger.at/index.htm

Grüss Got,
Bollocks

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:03:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Glad to see they re-opened that part of the factory.  I hope they start exporting again.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:24:03 AM EDT
[#18]
"The ABC for
large Game."
"What it takes is a clever bullet"

Both the design and the action of the hirtenberger ABC bullet differ significantly from conventional rifle bullets.

It is a single-chamber solid bullet in a malleable copper-zinc alloy (CuZn10 - gilding metal) with continuously controlled expansion and mushrooming of the solid bullet body.

The deformation of the bullet is introduced safely within the target by the soft lead tip. This ensures that the solid body of the bullet rolls up into four barbs.

The mushrooming of the bullet tip therefore starts from the thin tip edge. Thanks to four longitudinal notches, the so-called control notches inside the bullet's bore, the barbs will roll up as programmed.

"With the ABC bullet, only the bullet tip is deformed"

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks Meplat. I wouldn't think this stuff would be very good against heavy clothing or body armor, but it appears to have some limited utility in specific situations. I'd like to see Doctors brouhaha and tatjana test it in gelatin, but I wonder how useful that would be given the apparent limited availability of this ammo.

WofWof, this isn't Hirtenberger ABC. That would be big game ammo that's specifically designed to mushroom, not fragment.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top